Job Title: Human Resource Adviser
Since 1988 Send a Cow (SAC) has transformed a million lives, by helping African families and orphans to grow enough food to eat, sell their produce and develop small businesses that last.
Providing livestock, seeds, training and ongoing support, it helps families leave poverty behind for good.
The Send a Cow Group currently constitutes Country Programmes in seven African countries plus the UK and USA, together with a Group Executive which is based in the UK.
Send a Cow Uganda (SACU) is registered as a Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) in Uganda (registration S.5914/1894), and is constituted with a local Board who ensure that SACU meets local legal obligations, input into the strategic planning process, and provide support, and networking and other development opportunities.
Job Summary: The incumbent will offer Human Resource management support and advice to all SAC areas of operation in Africa: Lesotho, Kenya, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Burundi, Uganda and Zambia.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- HR Strategy:
- HR systems: In each Country, support the Country Director/Operational teams to:
- Information Systems and staff Records: In each Country, support the Country Director/Operational teams to:
- Policy Development and Compliance: In each Country, support the Country Director/Operational teams to:
- Reporting: In each Country, support the Country Director/Operational teams to:
- Salaries, Terms and Conditions: In each Country, support the Country Director/Operational teams to:
- Learning and Development: In each Country, support the Country Director/Operational teams to:
- Assist the Head of HR to develop a strategic approach to HR within the African Country Programs
- Develop and review HR policies and Procedures to ensure effective an, fair and equitable management of staff in all African Country Programs,
- Working closely with the Country Directors ensure adherence to local employment law
- Be aware and up to date on any employment law changes in each African country of operation,
- Integrate Send a Cow values in to all HR policies and practices throughout African programs.
- Carry out proper selection and recruitment processes
- Carry out staff orientation and induction
- Actively coordinate the staff appraisal process
- Responsible for performance management coordination
- Analyzing staff training needs.
- Ensure Personal staff information is relevant, accurate and concise containing all the key documents required to comply with SAC policies,
- Staff leave process locally are robust and fit for purpose,
- Staff sickness/absence is monitored and reported,
- Ensure contracts comply with SAC policies and local laws
- Ensure confidentiality of staff information
- Institute an up to date and country specific HR manual, which complies with all local employment laws which is communicated and available to all staff,
- Ensure policies are understood and staff are supported to undertake key processes of Recruitment and Selection, performance Management, Disciplinary and Grievance,
- Ensure policies are disseminated to staff
- Provide Board reports on key HR strategies as required,
- Supply as required information to be presented to the UK Board,
- Actively coordinate the monthly Country reporting process on key HR strategies,
- Deliver the key principles of salaries, terms and conditions,
- Ensure fairness and equity within salaries
- Work towards consistency in all terms and conditions in all areas of operation.
- Identify development needs for each member of staff,
- Identify and support ‘talent’ within all African Programs
- Work with local training providers or support local trainers to deliver key strategies on Management Development, Health and Safety, HR policies, Performance management, Skills enhancement and knowledge acquisition,
- Assist the Head of HR to develop a learning organization.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Bachelors’ degree in Public Administration, Human Resource Management, or other related field. Postgraduate training in a related field is added advantage
- Four or more years’ experience in operational HR, offering support at a senior level
- Past experience in NGO work.
- Prior experience in Human Resource management
- Skills and knowledge in policy development and implementation
- Able to write concise and accurate reports,
- Past exposure and experience of preparing and monitoring work plans
- Excellent organization skills
- Excellent Coordination skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills
How to Apply for the job:
If you wish to apply, please download the following: job description/person specification, application form, equal opportunities monitoring form, guidance on completing three key achievements
Your application must include the following:
- A completed Send a Cow Application Form, Download here
- A competed Equal Opportunities form, Download here
- A copy of your three most recent/relevant qualifications
- Details of ‘three key achievements’, outlined according to instructions, Download guidelines
- Confirmation of eligibility to work in Uganda
Please send your completed application to: email@example.com
Deadline: 17th October 2014