Job Title: International Manager of Research Action
Organization: Restless Development
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Salary: UGX 90,348,836 gross per annum
Reports to: Senior International Research Manager (performance management) and Senior Manager of Restless Development USA (project/grant management
Restless Development (Uganda) is an International NGO established to address the challenges faced by young people in Uganda by placing young people at the forefront of change and development. Our vision is for all Ugandan youth to live healthy and productive lives, fully supported by those around them. Our programming focuses on three core areas: youth sexual and reproductive health and rights, youth civic participation and youth employment and livelihoods.
About The Youth Think Tank:
The Youth Think Tank (YTT) is a research initiative launched by Mastercard Foundation (MCF) and Restless Development that works with young people from 7 countries in Africa (Uganda, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, and Ghana) exploring economic opportunities for young people. Led by Restless Development’s Uganda Hub, young researchers are trained and supported to lead the research process on different themes related to youth livelihoods, employment, education and financial inclusion. The insights generated will enable development actors and other key stakeholders and influencers across Africa and beyond to better understand issues affecting youth and identify solutions to increase and improve the engagement of young people in development initiatives.
Job Summary: The International Manager of Research Action will lead and coordinate thought leadership and action on youth-led research findings. The role will work to support the global agency more broadly on innovating best practices in sharing our research findings to catalyze discussions around collaborative actions, with specific focus on the Youth Think Tank as our flagship research programme. The incumbent will influence and mobilize priority audiences to catalyze action on youth economic opportunities research findings, with particular focus on the agricultural technology and hospitality and tourism publications. The incumbent will build the capacity of the Global agency on how to use research findings to inform and influence other stakeholders in the public, private and non-profit sectors.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide overall project management support to the 12 month project aimed at leveraging the thought leadership and influence of the Youth Think Tank
- Develop and manage an operational plan, track and ensure timely progress and achievements of project deliverables
- Facilitate process to select YTT members for various opportunities within the project; manage and support their roles and participation
- Coordinate communication and cooperation between Uganda and US-based staff to achieve project objectives and activities
- Ensure high quality narrative and financial reporting as required to donors and investing partners, clearly communicating any significant changes to project delivery or spending
Develop priority audience strategies and work with young researchers to create targeted messages and materials
- Together with researchers and Uganda & US staff, coordinate a process to prioritize key target audiences for the agritech and hospitality and tourism reports
- Research strategic partners, influencers and opportunities within those sectors
- Develop bespoke strategies for thought leadership and influence, and the messaging and materials needed for regional and international plans
Organize and support young researchers to participate in webinars, conferences, and strategic meetings
- Prepare detailed briefings on events, partners and audiences
- Work with researchers and staff to prepare presentations, speeches and meeting plans
- Arrange travel and other logistics, and delegate support from other roles
- Track meeting outcomes and follow up on action plans with participants
- Prepare communications materials and facilitate external media engagement when needed
Promote youth-led research and the Youth Think Tank technical assistance offer
- Work closely with the Senior International Research Manager to share our youth-led research methodology and to promote any offers related to it
- Help tailor the technical assistance offers of the YTT for different audiences,
- Support the US and Uganda hub to promote these offers
- Coordinate follow up to pursue opportunities
Help create systems for information sharing, learning and thought leadership within Restless Development to improve our ability to influence and inform development policy and practice.
- Establish clear lines of internal communication, especially between the staff in Uganda, the US, and other Hubs
- Create internal systems and processes for sharing information and external influencing opportunities, and for managing relationships with key donors/partners; developing innovative around means and channels to share not just opportunities but also lessons of use to other teams
- Champion cross-unit working in creative ways
- Contribute to related Strategy and Operations of the Uganda and US hubs
- Help secure new investment that ensures the growth and sustainability of our work on youth- led research and youth economic opportunities, including inputting into new concepts and proposals,
- Contribute to high level discussions to maximize synergies across the Uganda and US Hubs and the wider organization, sharing opportunities / challenges and ensuring effective joint- working
- Assist in the ongoing strategic development, leadership, planning and operations of Uganda and US Hubs and the broader organization.
Key Result Areas:
- Train and mentor 6-10 young researchers to share evidence and discuss recommendations at up to 6 thought leadership events (youth events and policymaker/practitioner events).
- Promote youth-led research, as well was the Youth Think Tank technical assistance offers.
- Support the young researchers, particularly the YTT technical assistants, to produce targeted research briefs, webinars, op-eds/blogs.
- Support young researchers, particularly the YTT technical assistants, to conduct meetings to co- create solutions and catalyze actions with priority audiences (donors, private sector actors, CSO/NGOs).
- Develop resources (guidance notes, webinars, etc.) on best practices in sharing for discussion and action for Restless Development staff and provide top-line technical assistance to other teams on how to share their research findings.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Restless Development International Manager of Research Action job must hold a University Degree, Graduate-level Degree or equivalent work experience international development/economic studies, research and workforce development or entrepreneurship.
- Two years of experience working in the area of livelihoods, employment and/or entrepreneurship, ideally focused on youth
- Experience in interpreting and sharing research reports; knowledge management
- Proven skills and experience in developing communications for thought leadership and/or advocacy
- Experience of planning, developing and managing projects or events
- Experience working in Africa and/or with partners in Africa on youth and/or economic development
- Knowledge of/experience with the international development sector (primarily the US and Canada, but also Europe); direct experience or partnership experience with funders, the private sector, and African regional development bodies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking, and fluent written/spoken English
- Experience and skills in remote communication and inter-country working
- Strong logistical and organizational skills
- Previous research experience, particularly in producing research reports
- Knowledge of the agrifood system/agricultural technologies and/or hospitality and tourism industries
- Experience in supporting young people to participate and speak at conferences, webinars and in high level meetings
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join Restless Development in the aforementioned capacity should fill in this form, download here, and send it to email@example.com. Please note that we DO NOT accept CVs, resumes and cover letters.
Deadline: 9th November 2018