Organisation: National Information Technology Authority-Uganda (NITA-U)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Corporate Communications Manager
The National Information Technology Authority-Uganda (NITA-U) was established as a statutory body under the National Information Technology Authority, Uganda Act, 2009 as one of the key players in the Information and Communications Technology Sector. Its mandated is to coordinate, promote and monitor IT development within the context of national social and economic development, with a vision as “a facilitator of a knowledge-based, globally competitive Uganda where social transformation and economic development is supported through IT enabled services.”
Job Summary: The Corporate Communications Officer will primarily design and implement the organisation’s communication and public relations strategy, facilitate efficient and timely sourcing, collation, managing and dissemination of strategic and operational information and knowledge within and outside the Authority.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the first point of call for stakeholders and the public in matters pertaining to fulfilment of the Authority’s mandate and implementation of strategic plan;
- Prepare and implement the Authority’s communications and public relations strategies and policies;
- Formulate systems, approaches and methods for documentation, management of information and knowledge generated from the Authority, and support the access by all key actors to such information and knowledge;
- Offer professional advice and support to management on public relations issues; handling the media and harnessing political and public support for the Authority and generally explaining official positions;
- The Corporate Communications Officer will also facilitate all protocol matters, including national and international conferencing arrangements, ticketing, hotel reservations, airport meet-and-greet services, etc., where NITA-U is involved;
- The incumbent will also draft press releases, speeches, media relations content, case studies, white papers, executive bios, corporate newsletter content, social media content, and speaking proposals. and other documentation for NITA events
- The incumbent will design and coordinate implementation of corporate communication, PR and Information management strategy;
- Plan, prepare and implement information programmes to keep the public and specific groups (government services, the media, the business community, NGO’s, international organizations and the general public, etc. ) informed of NITA’s programmes;
- Plan, coordinate and implement NITA’s Corporate Social Responsibility Programmes and/or other public relations activities;
- Regularly monitor the media on a day-to-day basis, analyse reportage on NITA and/or other information technology issues and advise Management on appropriate responses and follow ups and ensure appropriate publicity and media coverage at all official NITA functions;
- Design and implement communication programmes to mobilise public opinion in favour of the cause for other national, regional and global information technology developments;
- Brand the NITA corporate image and thereafter continuously sustain, maintain, improve and defend it;
- Prepare and submit reports as well as relevant documents and promotional material for advancement of the Authority’s corporate image and impact;
- Monitor and analyze staff opinion and identify issues and trends by carrying out internal surveys and advise management on appropriate actions/responses
- Plan, generate and oversee all internal campaigns and competitions to keep staff up to speed on NITA programs.
- The Corporate Communications Officer will also create and manage the ED’s monthly ‘Updates Magazine’
- Carry out liaison activities with the appropriate stakeholders and the general public on all strategic and operational elements implementation;
- Perform any other duties, which may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the NITA-U Corporate Communications Officer job placement should hold a Bachelor’s degree in English Language/Literature, Mass Communication, business management, international relations/diplomacy, marketing or their equivalent from a recognised University;
- Possession of a post graduate training in media studies, journalism, public relations, technical writing, web editing or marketing is an added advantage;
- At least three years’ experience as a communication, PR, Customer Relationship Officer with a public or private or donor funded organisation or a reporter/editor in a reputable media house.
- Practical experience in writing articles for print and online magazines, Press releases, Talking points and ability to carry out interviews with different stakeholders when need arises.
- Possess good customer service background dealing customers face to face and via phone interactions
- Previous experience in speech writing
- Previous exposure and experience in working with the media is an advantage
- Previous experience in Public Speaking, Media Relations and Stake holder Management
- Keen attention to detail
- High degree of confidentiality, diligence and reliability;
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as supervision of a team;
- Capacity to establish credibility, and trust and partnership;
How to Apply:
All candidates who meet the job requirements/specifications and with the right personal attributes are invited to complete and submit their application forms, download here, with a cover letter, supported by curriculum vitae, copies of certificates and testimonials, and must specify day time telephone contact, postal and email addresses of both the applicant and three referees, to the address below.
The Executive Director,
National Information Technology
Authority – UGANDA (NITA-U),
Palm Courts, Plot 7A, Rotary Avenue (former Lugogo bypass)
P.O. Box 33151, Kampala-Uganda
Tel: 0417 801 038
Or via email: email@example.com (application must not exceed 10MBs)
Applicants must also submit with their application verifiable evidence supporting previous relevant appointments such as appointment letters and employment contracts.
Deadline: 4th September 2017 by 5:00 PM
NB: No application will be accepted without a duly completed and signed standard application form (refer to above).