Job Title: Finance and Administrative Officer
Organisation: Bioversity International
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Bioversity International is a global research-for-development organization. We have a vision – that agricultural biodiversity nourishes people and sustains the planet. We deliver scientific evidence, management practices and policy options to use and safeguard agricultural biodiversity to attain sustainable global food and nutrition security. We work with partners in low-income countries in different regions where agricultural biodiversity can contribute to improved nutrition, resilience, productivity and climate change adaptation.
Job Summary: The Finance and Administrative Officer is responsible for contributing to efficient and accurate financial operations at ILRI Kampala Office, ensuring compliance with ILRI policies and procedures.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Country Representative of ILRI office in Kampala, Uganda, the candidate is expected to carry out the following duties:
Payments, Record Keeping and travel management
- Ensure that payments are fully supported as per ILRI policies
- Initiate the payment process and submit to Country Representative for approval.
- Book the payments in the financial system, attach soft copy of the supporting documents and notify the Finance Manager/Officer at the headquarters for posting.
- File copies of the supporting documents and submit the originals at the end of the month to the headquarters for filing.
- Review travel advance request for country staff and in accordance with policy and ensuring that all expenses are supported by receipts and scanned copies attached in the financial system (OCS).
- Coordinate with the Finance Manager at the headquarters to have country prequalified vendors accounts created in the financial system (OCS)
- Prepare the monthly bank reconciliation by 2nd of every month and follow up on any reconciling items.
- Prepare quarterly cash projections and seek the Country Representative’s approval before submitting to Head office for payment.
- Prepare monthly petty cash reconciliation and submit approved petty cash certificate to Headquarters by 2nd of every month including supporting documentation per policy
- Monitor host organization’s account and ensure that invoices are submitted and paid on time.
Reporting, budgets and workplans
- Ensure that expenses are coded correctly and charged to the correct project code
- Liaise with the host organization to obtain monthly report on time, review for accuracy, code and post in the financial system.
- Prepare monthly reports for country projects and submit to the country representative for review.
- Generate ageing report for staff and commercial suppliers, follow up on long outstanding items.
- Support the country representative in budget proposal preparations.
- Coordinate with program managers to monitor spend rate for projects expenditures
- Coordinate the audit process
- Coordinate meeting, hotel booking for guest
- Prepare meeting expenditure reports, with the relevant support documents and submit for review and approval.
- Review, and inventorize ILRI property and equipment, recording information such as the property’s description, asset numbers, and location.
- Maintain report of ILRI office activities including meetings
- Support country office day-to-day operations.
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor of Commerce (Finance/Accounting option) or related qualification.
- Full accounting qualifications CPA (K) or ACCA
- At least three years of relevant working experience including experience the financial management of projects
- Experience with accounting of Projects
- Good personal organizational skills, accuracy and attention to detail
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Highly effective multi-tasking skills, with ability to coordinate, prioritize and organize workload and meet deadlines
- Experience with a not-for profit Organization or academic environment.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications via post to: P.O. Box 24384, Kampala, Uganda or by hand deliver to Plot 106, Katalima Road, Naguru, Kampala, Uganda. Please note that in the application you are required to provide the contact details (address, telephone number and e-mail address) of at least three referees.
Deadline: 17th August 2018