ENVIRONMENT FOR DEVELOPMENT (EFD) PROJECT MAKERERE UNIVERSITY, UGANDA
About the Project
The EfD initiative is a global network of environmental economics research centers. We contribute to effective management of the environment in the global south through applied research, Institutional Development, Academic Training and Policy Interaction.
EfD was established 2007 and today, EfD consists of over 160 accomplished environmental economists with many different specializations, who are active in leading local academic research institutions. EfD has 15 centers across the world, in Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ethiopia, Ghana, India, Kenya, Nigeria, Sweden, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, USA and Vietnam.
The network is coordinated by the EfD Secretariat, a special Unit at the School of Business, Economics and Law, University of Gothenburg, Sweden.
The secretariat serves the EfD centers with research management, central communication functions, core support management and administration, and acts as an incubator for policy interaction issues to share experiences between the EfD centers and other relevant actors.
EfD-MAK is a newly established center in Uganda with its offices at Makerere University. The center will start its full operations in the new financial year 2019/2020. The center is therefore looking for suitably qualified applicants to fill the following positions.
JOB TITLE: DATA MANAGER
Reports to: Country Director
Duty Station: Makerere University Kampala, Uganda
The Data Manager will work with the EfD core research team and support all research and evaluation activities. The research data manager will be a key person who will interact with Investigators, Principal Investigators, data entry officers to facilitate the collection and storage of data from various sources. The primary activities of this position are: design of databases, supervision of data entry, data curation, data quality control and management of research data in electronic systems. The data manager will also perform preliminary data analysis.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• The jobholder will oversee and coordinate data entry and management, including data quality control
• Develop and execute procedures for the abstraction and merging of data records from source databases into the study database.
• Responsible for the writing, training, and oversight of the data management Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for the various studies.
• Work closely with relevant research fellows to follow-up data errors, discrepancies, and missing information for ongoing data cleaning.
• Update and maintain the integrity, security and data backup of the databases routinely.
• Perform and oversee data audits comparing database with data collection instruments
• Cleaning incoming data files, integrate data files into the data management system, update summary files, process data requests from investigators to ensure data quality through the execution of computer programs, development of protocols, and other quality assurance
• Provides technical assistance and training to the staff who may be required to enter data /quality review information.
• Performs evaluation and preliminary analysis of data; prepares routine reports documenting results of findings; creates reports using MS Access, Excel, Word, or PowerPoint; may participate in formal or informal presentation of findings.
• Responsible for data validation through reconciliation process.
• Ensures accuracy and timeliness of data so that information may be used by the Principal Investigator in presentations, reports and publication.
• Work closely with data managers from other EfD centers to ensure uniform management and storage of data.
• Any other duty as assigned by the EfD Country Director.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• A minimum of a Master’s Degree in Economics or Statistics.
• At least five years’ working experience in managing research data preferably on environmental and natural resource related research.
• Knowledge in STATA, SPSS and basic statistical analyses is a must.
• Ability to communicate effectively with a range of people and organization both orally and in writing is required.
How to apply
All applications should be addressed to: The Director, EfD-Makerere University, Plot 51 Pool Road, P.O. Box 7062 Kampala. Uganda
The complete applications (letter, CV, copies of academic documents & Referees recommendation) should be hand delivered to the Office of the Human Resource, COBAMS or sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
NB: All Applications should clearly indicate the JOB TITLE and names of at least two (2) referees, one of the referees should be your current or most recent employer.
CLOSING DATE: 19th July 2019 at 5pm