Job Title: Manager Legal Services
Tropical Bank Limited was established in 1973 under the name Libyan Arab Uganda Bank for Foreign Trade and Development. Tropical Bank Limited is jointly owned by the Governments of the Republic of Uganda 0.03% and the Libyan Foreign Bank (LFB) 99.97% of Paid-up Capital.
The Bank provides professional and personalized commercial banking services to various sectors of the economy including financial support to Parastatals, Corporates, Small and Medium Enterprises, Individuals, and Non-Governmental Organisations.
Job Summary: The Manager Legal Services will provide support in maintaining strategic oversight of the Legal Department in ensuring that it achieves its stated mandate and provide the support necessary to the achievement of the bank’s overall strategy, and provision of company secretarial services to the Board of Directors, Shareholders and the Company.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures that the Bank’s interests are safeguarded when preparing, reviewing and amending contracts or making related recommendations.
- Provides legal advice to various units at corporate office and branches.
- Keeps the Senior Management up to date on the amendments / new laws introduced in the country and effects, if any, on the Bank’s lending portfolio / operations.
- Regularly reviews security documents for large credit facilities to ensure that Bank’s interest is protected at all times.
- Ensuring that the Department’s loan and securities functions are adequate to protect Tropical bank in its lending transactions, and maintaining oversight of the registration and safe custody of these documents;
- Where required, provide company secretarial functions including preparation and proper maintenance of all Board Minutes and corporate documents; co-ordination of Board meetings, General meetings and Directors’ workshops;
- Oversee Tropical Bank’s litigation activities and recovery referred for legal action and to ensure positive outcomes and cost minimization. This includes, participating in formation of litigation and recovery strategy for each matter, and directing the officer directly responsible for litigation and recoveries in the monitoring of each case to ensure that it is properly handled.
- Providing accurate legal advice to the Board of Directors and Management on all legal issues, and providing oversight to the external legal counsel contracted by Tropical Bank for any purpose;
- In charge of the preparation and Ownership of the Department’s budget, and ensuring that the operations of the Department are maintained within budget.
- Give prompt and accurate legal advice to inquiries and consultations of a legal nature from branches and all departments.
- In charge of the planning, organizing and monitoring the performance of the legal unit and ensuring that agreed service levels are met.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should preferably be an Advocate with (LLB and Postgraduate Diploma in Law) with in depth knowledge of the law and its practice with a valid practicing Certificate.
- At least five to seven years of relevant experience preferable with a financial institution.
- Good knowledge and understanding of commercial lending practices is desirable.
- Experience in retail/consumer finance will be an additional advantage.
How to Apply for the job:
If your qualifications and experience match those described above please send a detailed application together with your CV, copies of your academic certificates and transcripts and a cover letter of not more than 2 pages explaining why you consider yourself to be the best suited candidate.
The Executive Director, Tropical Bank Limited, Plot 27 Kampala Road, P.O. Box 9485, Kampala Tel+256414313100
E-mail to: [email protected];
Deadline: 10th April, 2015 by 4PM