Job Title: Information Officer / Librarian
Organization: Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Information Officer /Information Management
Job Ref: UBOS/HRM-CPR/2015/06
The Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) is a semi-autonomous body established by the Uganda Bureau of Statistics Act, 1998, to promote the production of reliable official statistics and ensure the development and maintenance of the National Statistical System (NSS). The mandate of the Bureau is the production, coordination and dissemination of official statistics.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee and account for all the UBOS Library and Resource Centre facilities;
- Ensure that UBOS information resources are accessible to interested UBOS stakeholders and the general public;
- Search standard reference materials, including on-line sources and the Internet in order to answer patrons’ reference questions;
- Carry out the continuous dissemination of UBOS information and publications;
- Keenly analyse patrons’ requests to determine needed information and assist in furnishing or locating that information;
- Guide library patrons to search for information using databases;
- Keep records of circulation and materials;
- Check books in and out of the library;
- Explain use of library facilities, resources, equipment and services as well as provide information about library policies;
- Regularly review and evaluate resource material, such as book reviews and catalogues, in order to select and order print, audio-visual, and electronic resources;
- Code, classify, and catalogue books, publications, films, audio-visual aids, and other library materials based on subject matter or standard library classification systems;
- Mentor, supervise and evaluate the junior staff of the Library;
- Initiate projects and programmes for the development of the Centre; and
- Participate in other UBOS projects and programmes as may be required from time to time
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Information Officer / Librarian should hold a Bachelor’s degree with honours in Library and Information Science plus Computer Literacy.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in the operation of library information services with interest in statistical issues.
How to Apply for the jobs:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applicationsindicating applicant’s postal address, Email contact, three referees with their contact addresses and telephone contacts as well as copies academic transcripts, certificates and an updated CV. The application should clearly indicate the relevant job title (position applied for) and reference number.
Address / Send complete applications to:
The Deputy Executive Director – Corporate Services
Uganda Bureau of Statistics
Plot 9, Colville Street
P.O Box 7186,
E-mail to: email@example.com
NB: Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted and any sort of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Deadline: Friday, 3rd July, 2015