The International Potato Center (CIP) is a not-for-profit international agricultural research organization with a global mandate to conduct research on genetic resources of potatoes, sweetpotato, and other Andean roots and tubers, crop genetic enhancement and improvement, integrated crop management and sustainable management of natural resources.
Job Summary: The Accountant will primarily contribute to the International Potato Centre’s work in potato and sweetpotato, also manage all financial processes associated with CIP Projects in Uganda, according to established standards, policies and procedures.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the technical supervision of the Regional Finance Manager and administrative supervision of the Country Liaison Scientist, the selected candidate will be responsible for financial oversight of the projects in Uganda with specific duties as detailed below:
1. Financial Management:
- Ensure timely delivery of monthly financial reports, including cash management, imprest returns, ledgers, reconciliations, and any other financial related reports as per financial reporting guidelines
- Maintain and enhance internal controls over financial transactions
- Routinely update financial information and maintain all financial records for the project
- Manage financial control, and analyze budgets, and make recommendations on budget expenditures.
- Monitor the expenditures to ensure that project funds are utilized appropriately by the close of the fiscal year
- Compile and prepare timely and accurate project financial reports, in accordance with donor requirements
- Manage advances to staff, partners and other institutional collaborators
- Update of bank signatories information and liaise with the banks on any issues concerning CIP Bank Accounts.
- Ensure compliance with recent Audit recommendations
- Reconcile GL accounts and provision of monthly status reports for the staff and research advances.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold an accounting degree with CPA part II
- A minimum of five years’ experience working in the NGO Sector/International Organization.
- Applicants with donor grants experience will have a definite advantage;
- Possess excellent self-organizational skills
- Possess the ability to work in a team.
How to apply for the job:
All candidates should send their applications via email, sending a letter of motivation, detailed CV., copies of relevant certificates, and contacts of three referees to email@example.com copied to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position title should be clearly marked on the subject line of the email message. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 25th July, 2014