Job Title: Accounts Assistant
Southern and Eastern African Trade, Information and Negotiations Institute (SEATINI) is a leading institution in capacity building, research and advocacy on trade and development in the Eastern and Southern Africa. Our vision is a strong and confident Africa committed to pursuing and defending the interests, rights and aspirations of its people at all levels.
SEATINI thrives as an independent, people-centered non-profit seeking organization driven by the values of openness, transparency, integrity and non-violence, working with diligence towards greater justice and equity.
Job Summary: The Accounts Assistant will be mainly responsible for the routine financial accounting functions including processing and recording all transactions on the system and supporting period end processes. The incumbent also involves ensuring staff use effectively and efficiently financial systems and controls. The job holder will be responsible for the compilation of regular financial reports that guide proper utilization of resources and decision making for management and the board
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Updating and maintaining updated financial records including cash books, ledgers and advance registers.
- Produce monthly reports and statements for financial management as stipulated in the financial control and management manual.
- Assist the external auditors during annual, spontaneous and management of audit from time to time.
- Update and maintain a fixed assets register and a proper filling system of receipts and payment vouchers in line with departmental guidelines.
- Prepare monthly pay roll.
- Ensure that financial transactions are accurately recorded and bank reconciliations are done.
- Responsible for the preparation of payments.
- Ensure payment vouchers to be processed are duly supported with necessary documents as required by project guidelines.
- Work closely with Suppliers and Statutory bodies i.e. URA, NSSF for reconciliation of accounts and compliance.
- Supporting staff in financial management issues.
- Actively participating in strategic planning and management activities.
- Taking part in Finance Committee meetings of SEATINI Uganda Country Programme Management Board.
- Responsible for monitoring the activities and budget performance of the various programs, ensuring compliance with appropriate regulations, SEATINI Uganda policies and procedures, and accepted financial practice and standards, coordinating remedial action as necessary.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a University degree in fields related to Accounting.
- Additional professional training (ACCA, CPA, CIMA or similar certification) will be an added advantage.
- Past experience in finance and accountancy preferably in a non-governmental Organization.
- Computer literacy skills i.e. IT literate and excellent knowledge and skills in using computer based Accounting systems, Microsoft Excel and Word packages.
- Prior experience in preparing and monitoring budgets & developing monitoring and reporting systems.
- Possess the ability to provide financial analysis and interpretation to the Country Director and Board for decision making.
- Working knowledge of government policies and regulations on financial management and taxation
- Excellent (proven) interpersonal both oral and written communication skills.
- Highly numerate.
- Ability to think strategically with excellent planning and prioritization skills.
- Excellent analytical/problem solving skills.
- Highly creative and proactive.
- Possess the ability to work effectively in a diverse
- Good motivator of others
- Willingness to work additional hours at crucial times
- High degree of personal integrity.
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their typed applications with full curriculum vitae, recommendation letters from two different referees with copies of Academic/professional/experience certificates should be addressed and sent to:
Southern and Eastern African Trade Information and Negotiations Institute (SEATINI Uganda)
P.O.BOX 3138 Kampala. Uganda
Plot 69 Bukoto Street Kamyokya
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org and copy in email@example.com
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The attachments of your Email should not exceed 1MB.
Deadline: 8th August 2014