Job Title: Agroforestry Officer
Lutheran World Federation (LWF) is part of the Lutheran World Federation Department for World Service (LWF-DWS), an international humanitarian and development agency. LWF Uganda works to reduce people’s vulnerability, supporting them to realize their potential, to build on their assets, and to respond to their own problems and needs. LWF Uganda currently has six areas of operation in Pader, Kitgum, Adjumani, Katakwi, Sembabule, Kampala and Kamwenge Districts.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively participate in projects and experiments in the field of agronomy;
- Discuss the orientation and technical demands of agronomic activities and assumes responsibility for the technical aspects in the execution of the same;
- Carry out a variety of specialized technical tasks such as assessing field site characteristics and selecting field locations, and determining requirements for fertilizers and pesticides;
- Offer technical direction and extension support concerning best agroforestry methods, the use of equipment and techniques, and the analysis of results;
- Organize, prepare and facilitate ToT and other trainings, as required, to selected community members on specific sustainable and environmentally appropriate agronomic techniques;
- Work closely with the District forestry officers; provide support and mentoring post-training to ensure knowledge is appropriately cascaded to other interested members, and regularly monitoring same in keeping with project requirements;
- Offer appropriate extension services in crop production and management amongst smallholder farmers, focusing on diversification and intensification of agricultural production, and promoting integration into value chain activities;
- Participate in designing, planning, and implementing innovative approaches to agricultural and value chain activities.
- Offer regular and timely communication to supervisor and field colleagues on progress during project implementation, highlighting successes; delays; risks; challenges; irregularities and opportunities encountered during your work;
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants for the Agroforestry Officer vacancy should hold a relevant degree in Forestry, Ecology or Biology
- At least two to four years’ experience implementing agroforestry projects/activities in the field
- Past exposure and experience in managing tree/vegetable nurseries
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with partner organizations, including governments, international and local NGOs and community groups
- Possess the ability to communicate publicly (written and oral) with a wide range of audiences, including community members, donors, NGO, government and colleagues at all levels
- Good computer skills and knowledge using Microsoft Office Programs
How to apply for the job:
The candidates should send their applications and detailed CVs which must include email addresses and telephone contacts of three professional referees, one of whom must be your supervisor in your current/former employment. Please send your application to:
Office of Administration/Human Resources, Lutheran World Federation, Department for World Service-Uganda Program Plot 1401, Gaba Road, Nsambya, P. O. Box 5827 – Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: Deliver Monday to Friday (Between 8:00am to 5:00pm) by 5th August, 2014.