Job Title: Principal Compliance Officer
Centenary Bank is the leading Commercial Micro Finance Bank in Uganda serving over 1,300,000 clients (a quarter of the banking population) in 58 branches spread countrywide. We are one of Uganda’s top three financial organisations, employing more than 1,500 people. Joining Centenary Bank is an opportunity to use your skills and experience in tackling real world problems.
Job Summary: The Principal Compliance Officer will be responsible for performining periodic compliance tests on various departments in the Bank, report findings, offer direction and training to staff, align policies and procedures to changes in the regulatory landscape to improve level of compliance with laws and regulations and thereby avert exposure of the Bank to penalties and reputational risk arising there from.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct periodic tests to assess the extent of compliance with regulatory requirements such as Acts of Parliament and regulations/guidelines from regulators.
- Offer advice and guidance to line management on remedial actions regarding the findings of the regulatory compliance audit.
- Provide accurate and timely regulatory reports for Management’s review prior to submission to the regulators as required.
- Support line divisions/departments to comply with their regulatory reporting requirements in terms of timeliness and completeness.
- Actively participate actively, in the development, implementation and maintenance of regulatory compliance risk management and monitoring plans.
- Carry out research and provide advice on issues of compliance that are relevant to the bank’s business and activities including but not limited to compliance with existing and upcoming legislation; advise on the implications of new legislations on the operations of the bank; and best positioning of the bank for proactive compliance.
- Actively participate in training and developing of training materials on all matters relating to regulatory compliance such as sensitization of staff on newly introduced policies, procedures and regulators’ guidelines.
- Participate fully in the assessment process for new products being introduced and provide advice that allows for minimization of regulatory penalties.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold an Honors Bachelor degree of Commerce, Business Administration, Law or any other relevant area. Possession of a professional qualification such as ACCA, IIA, ICSA or post graduate diploma in legal practice will be an added advantage.
- A minimum of four or more years’ experience in the area of compliance, auditing, finance or accounting in a regulated banking institution.
- Good drafting, writing, communication and reporting skills.
- Highly analytical and ability to provide prompt and sound advice.
- Possess the ability to execute various tasks at the same time and meet deadlines.
- A good team player, able to embrace the Bank’s mission and values.
How to apply for the job:
All candidates who desire to join Centenary Bank should send their applications by following the instructions below; downloading an application form for employment, download here, filling it and enclosing an application letter, Curriculum Vitae (CV), and copies of academic testimonials/certificates and send the application to:
General Manager, Human Resources Centenary Bank, P.O. Box 1892 — Kampala, Uganda.
Note: While we thank all applicants for your interest. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Deadline: 4th July 2014 by 5:00 pm