The Nile Basin Initiative (NBI) is a regional intergovernmental partnership that seeks to develop the River Nile in a cooperative manner, share substantial socio‐economic benefits and promote regional peace and security. NBI was established on 22 February, 1999 by riparian countries and continues to be led by 10 Member States namely Burundi, DR Congo, Egypt, Ethiopia, Kenya,
Rwanda, South Sudan, The Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda. Eritrea participates as an observer. NBI was conceived as a transitional institution until the operative Framework Agreement (CFA) negotiations were finalized and a permanent institution created.
The NBI has got three core Program Areas: (i) Basin Cooperation Program whose objective is to
facilitate, support and nurture cooperation amongst the Nile Basin countries so as to promote timely and efficient joint actions required for securing benefit from the common Nile Basin water resources. (ii) Water Resource Management Program with the objective to assess, manage and safeguard the water resource base that supports the peoples of the Nile Basin through applying
the principles of knowledge‐based Integrated Water Resources Management to water development planning and assessment. (iii) Water Resource Development Program whose objective is to identify, prepare and facilitate investment in trans‐boundary water development projects and programs whilst avoiding negative impacts on the health of the Nile Basin’s resources through applying the principles of Integrated Water Resources Management.
Job Summary: The NBI Communications Consultant will provide technical assistance and guidance in the area of Information, Communication and Visibility for NBI.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Communications Products:
- Conceptualise and develop one case study, once success story and one consolidated benefits of cooperation booklet.
- Work together with the consultants developing the NBI flagship publications, to prepare ‘popular’ versions of the flagship publications.
- Work with the Nile‐SEC Communications Consultant to ensure effective publicity and communications for the 4th NBDF in October 2014 (before, during and after the event)
- Work with the Nile‐SEC Communications Specialist to ensure effective publicity and communications for 2015 Nile Day celebrations
3. Media engagement:
- Organise tailor-made training to improve the understanding of the Nile Basin media professionals of NBI and the Nile cooperation
- Organise and deliver training on communications and media relations for key NBI officials
- (Nile‐TAC, SMT, Desk officers)
- Actively participate in organising the NBI media awards
4. Website and social media: Develop content for the website and the social media platforms
5. Support to overall Nile Basin Initiative communications:
- Undertake other communications related activities, in‐line with the Secretariatcommunication plans and as directed by the Regional Communication Specialist and reporting to the Head of Strategic Planning and Management.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should hold a good Master’s Degree or equivalent Advanced Degree in a related field of expertise (Communication, Journalism, Literature in English, Social Sciences or Political Sciences)
- Excellent creative writing and analytical skills as well as editing and proofreading skills
- At least seven years working experience in a related field
- A minimum of three similar assignments done in the last 7 years, including assignments dealing with sensitive topics
- Good media relations and management skills
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Prior experience with graphics production, color print process, desktop publishing and word processing
- Ability to maintain concentration as work is subject to frequent interruptions
- Ability to work in a multi‐task and multi‐deadline environment
- Ability to set goals and timelines and to work on deadlines
- Be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Fluency in English is required, knowledge of French is an asset.
- Good knowledge and Understanding of the Nile Basin Initiative an asset, as are knowledge and experience with transboundary water issues and the Nile region.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries and in multi‐cultural settings
How to Apply for the job:
All interested candidates should send their applications electronically to the Executive Director at: email@example.com. Application/cover letters clearly indicating the title of the assignment and accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae.
Deadline: 8th September, 2014