Organisation: Ministry of Health
Funding Source: Global Fund
Reports to: Team Leader
The Government of the Republic of Uganda under the Ministry of Health has received funding from the Global Fund to Fight HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, to support among other things recruitment of key staff to assist in improvement of the Health Systems Strengthening (HSS) grant performance. The goals of the Health Systems Strengthening grant are to:
· Strengthen the Procurement and Supply Management (PSM) system
· Support improvements in the Management Information Systems and Monitoring and
· Support community involvement in the delivery of health services
Additionally, the National TB and Leprosy Program (NTLP) is under the department of the National Disease Control (NDC) in the Ministry of Health. NTLP’s overall functions are to establish country wide quality diagnosis and treatment services for TB and Leprosy and to coordinate the implementation of TB and Leprosy control activities. Under the National Program is a National TB Reference Laboratory whose functions are; to provide technical guidance to all TB diagnostic facilities and standardization of Laboratory TB and Leprosy provide technical supervision and training of laboratory staff on TB and Leprosy Diagnosis Techniques, Confirmation of drug resistant TB and provide follow up culture and drug susceptible tests as a national referral facility. It also supports coordinated drug resistant TB surveillance and technical support roll out of new laboratory technologies and support their uptake and utilization. It also carries out operational research activities.
Job Summary: The Information Communication Technologist Focal person will be responsible for providing Information Communication Technology (ICT) database management and software, providing primary technical support on Information Communication Technology (ICT) to the Regional Performance Monitoring Team.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Responsible for coordinating the Information Communication Technology (ICT) support to districts, facilities and communities; operationalizing the national electronic database and preparing electronic data input tools to help in strengthening capacity for data and information management within under the region.
· Take part in support supervision visits to provide training and ongoing mentoring to core information and management staff at district, facility and community levels. The incumbent will perform regular site visits to support records officers/data clerks and monitor data improvement requirement, identify weaknesses, TA needs, lessons learnt, and best practices.
· Offer technical direction in the establishment of district and regional electronic data and information hubs to capture performance improvements and implementation of HSS and CSS programs in thisapplication.
· Develop electronic inventory systems to capture all equipment.
· Study, recommend and participate in harmonization of the software platforms for data capture, storage, analysis, sharing, linkage, dissemination and utilization of stakeholder Management Information System (MIS) that meets timelines for the Progress Update/Disbursement Requests (PU/DR) and other required reports.
· Facility updates of the electronic systems and link to FMIS and Ministry of ICT.
· Provides guidance for policy guidelines on standard ICT operating procedures.
· In charge of installing and configuring computer hardware operating systems and applications;
· Responsible for troubleshooting system and network problems and diagnosing and solving hardware/software faults;
· Supporting the roll-out of new applications;
· Working continuously on a task until completion (or referral to third parties, if appropriate);
· Rapidly establishing a good working relationship with internal and external stakeholders;
· Testing and evaluating new technology
· Perform any other duties as assigned by Team Leader
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate should hold a Bachelors of Information Technology from a recognized university
· A minimum of three years of working experience in ICT administration and support is required. Prior work experience with Arc View, Health Map and use of GIS applications will be of an added advantage.
· Prior experience working in an ICT position in a health related field is an added advantage.
· Computer knowledge in spreadsheets, statistical software, computer programming, and all MS Office applications is a MUST.
· Competences in management, team building skills, knowledge of- policies and guidelines that impact on Reproductive Health, Malaria, HIV/AIDS and TB are preferred.
How to Apply for the job:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send theirapplications addressed to the Permanent Secretary, MOH to the address below;
Ministry of Health,
Plot 6 Lourdel Road, Room D213, Block D, 2nd Floor.
P.O. Box 7272, Kampala,
Deadline: 11th September 2015.