Job Title: Legal Fellow
The African Centre for Justice and Peace Studies (ACJPS) is a non-profit, non-governmental organization working to monitor and promote respect for human rights and legal reform in Sudan.
ACJPS has a vision of a Sudan where all people can live and prosper free from fear and want in a state committed to justice, equality and peace.
ACJPS’ mission is dedicated to creating a Sudan committed to all human rights, the rule of law and peace, in which the rights and freedoms of the individual are honored and where all persons and groups are granted their rights to non-discrimination, equality and justice.
Job Summary: The Fellow, Legal Programme’s primary responsibility is to assist the Legal Programme in monitoring legal developments concerning the human rights situation in Sudan. S/he will assist in compiling updates to all pending ACJPS strategic litigation cases in Sudan, and developments in cases before regional forums such as the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights. Working closely with the Legal Programme Coordinator, s/he supports the publication of the Legal Programme’s thematic reports and updates on legal developments for the Sudan Human Rights Monitor. In addition to these responsibilities s/he will input information to and manage ACJPS’s contact databases, the ACJPS website and other social media tools.
NB: This position is intended for recent graduates.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Programmatic Research and Editing:
- Edit existing legal reports and preparing them for publication based on ACJPS’ formatting and style guidelines
- Draft short analysis of legal developments inside Sudan for the Sudan Human Rights Monitor and other ACJPS publications
- Monitor media for reports on legal developments and political developments relevant to ACJPS’ work in Sudan
- Assist in drafting and editing reports and proposals for donors concerning the work of the Legal Programme
2. Website and Database Maintenance:
- Update ACJPS’ website and other social media, including Facebook and twitter accounts
- Manage and input contacts into ACJPS’ distribution list
3. Programmatic Support: Offer administrative support to Legal Programme activities as required by the Legal Programme Coordinator.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Past exposure and experience working on human rights issues
- Excellent communication (spoken, written and presentational) as well as ability to manage contacts and website material
- Previous experience conducting desk research
- Excellent time keeping skills and ability to establish priorities and to plan work assignments, juggle competing demands and work under pressure of frequent and tight deadlines
- Proven interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Good knowledge and understanding with international human rights law frameworks
- Past exposure and experience working directly on human rights in Sudan
- Familiarity with Sudanese laws and justice systems
- Past experience managing advocacy communications, particularly social media
- Prior experience managing information data bases
- Fluency in both written and spoken Arabic and English is essential for this position
- Knowledge of current political and human rights context in Sudan
How to apply for the job:
All candidates should send updated CVs of no more than 2 pages and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the high volume of applications, only those successful for interviews will be contacted.
Deadline: 15th August 2014