Makerere University Business School (MUBS) is a Public Tertiary Institute affiliated to Makerere University with the mandate to provide business and management education in the country. MUBS seeks to attract and retain talented individuals in a positive, diverse, healthy and safe work environment.
Job Tittle: Manager, Procurement and Disposal Unit
Duty Station: Nakawa, Kampala, Uganda
Job Summary: The Manager, Procurement and Disposal Unit shall be responsible to the Principal/Accounting Officer and also provide efficient, effective and timely procurement services to Makerere University Business School and ensure total compliance with the PPDA Act 2003.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic leadership to the Procurement and Disposal Unit (PDU) to perform its functions efficiently, effectively, in accordance with the required procurement guidelines.
- Facilitate the formulation of an overall procurement strategy for the School and oversee its implementation.
- Provide the necessary guidance to the various Units in the School for compliance with the obligations of the PPDA Act.
- Be responsible for the preparation and periodic updating of annual procurement plans in consultation with other Units in the School and ensure that the procurement plan is integrated with the Unit work plans and the School Budget as approved by Council.
- Initiate the procurement process in consultation with user departments, and coordinate the preparation of Terms of Reference, Statement of Requirements, Specifications and Bid documents for the procurement activities undertaken by the School
- Establish and maintain a database of pre-qualified suppliers and shortlists of consultants and periodically update as guided by the PPDA.
- Participate in the evaluation of bids and proposals and take the lead role in providing procurement technical guidance to the evaluation committees
- Track and monitor the ordering process, and ensure that the requests and deliveries are within the contract terms and conditions.
- Manage all disposals in line with the PPDA Act.
- Provide effective staff supervision; including planning, monitoring, developing and evaluation of their performance on a regular basis.
- Carry-out any other tasks as may be assigned by the Principal/Accounting Officer.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold an Honours degree in a business course preferably in Procurement and Supply/Logistics Management.
- Full Professional qualification in a Procurement related Discipline e.g. CIPS
- At least five (5) years working experience at the level of senior procurement officer or its equivalent.
- Must be a citizen of Uganda aged between 30 and 50 years.
- Extensive working knowledge of the PPDA Act.
- A Post Graduate Qualification in Procurement or a related discipline will be an added advantage.
- Good problem analysis and solving skills.
- Excellent people management skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Proven ability to work under great pressure
- High level of computer literacy, with experience in the use of relevant packages.
- Must have a record of a high level of integrity.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates should submit three (3) copies of their applications together with the following:
- A detailed and up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.
- Names and addresses of four referees, (2 Academic, 1 Character and 1 professional) who should be advised to send reference letters direct to the Principal, MUBS under confidential cover, plus their postal, telephone and email addresses. Applicants are requested to ensure that at least two of the four referees have forwarded references concerning the application at the time of submission.
- Certified copies of candidate’s academic transcripts and certificates. Original documents should not be sent at this stage.
- Copies of the candidate’s birth certificate or copies of relevant pages of passport.
- Applicants already in service should route their applications through their heads of department. Sealed applications marked i.e .“CONFIDENTIAL and bearing the title of the post in the top right hand corner of the envelope must be forwarded and reach the Principal, MUBS on the address indicated below.
Applications should be addressed to:
Makerere University Business School
Plot M118, old Portbell Road
P.O. Box 1337, Kampala – Uganda
Deadline: 22nd November, 2013 East African Time