Job Title: Network Manager
The National Information Technology Authority-Uganda (NITA-U) was established as a statutory body under the National Information Technology Authority, Uganda Act, 2009 as one of the key players in the Information and Communications Technology Sector. Its mandated is to coordinate, promote and monitor IT development within the context of national social and economic development, with a vision as “a facilitator of a knowledge-based, globally competitive Uganda where social transformation and economic development is supported through IT enabled services.”
Job Summary: The Network Manager will plan, manage, supervise and maintain of the entire NITA – U infrastructure networks including the National Backbone and e-Government Infrastructure (NBI/EGI), the optical Fibre Network, NITA – U LANs, the Network Operating Centre (NOC) and any LAN, MAN or WAN infrastructure that will be installed from the projects managed by NITA – U.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the planning, Design, implementation, testing and maintenance of the NITA – U Network Infrastructure;
- In charge of Contract Management for the NBI Operations.
- Intuitively review and manage service agreements ensuring maximum productivity on all running SLAs.
- Oversee network performance and recommend adjustments and upgrades to wide variety of network operations and management functions.
- Review, recommend and implement policies, standards and documentation procedures related to the NOC operation procedures.
- Ensure Ministries, Departments and Agencies adhere to set Network standards.
- Ensure efficient delivery and availability of internet bandwidth and other services running on the NBI to the MDAs
- Design and implement security controls for the NITA-U LAN and WAN infrastructure.
- Monitor Network security, deployment of software upgrades, and enforce Network licence agreements on the NBI
- Plan and recommend services to run over the NBI to the MDA
- Develop an annual business plan, capital and operating budget for the network section.
- Monitoring and implementation of these to ensure that the performance targets are met
- Supervise, review and develop training and succession plans for the networks staff to ensure that the Department is adequately staffed and that the team is equipped with the necessary skills.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Network Manager should ideally hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Information Technology, or Telecommunications Engineering is a requirement
- Possession of a Master’s Degree in any IT related field will be an advantage;
- Professional certifications such as CCDA, CCNA, CISSP, MCSE, Huawei fibre transmission networks etc., will be an added advantage.
- At least five years’ experience in the design, implementation and management of Networks in a large enterprise or Telecommunication company.
- Demonstrated project management and communication experience will be required.
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Possess the ability to work on own initiative as well as in a team;
- Capacity to establish credibility, and trust and partnership.
- Excellent analytical and problem –solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Excellent communication and report writing skills.
- Be a person of integrity and honesty
How to Apply for the job:
All candidates who meet the job requirements/specifications and with the right personal attributes are invited to complete and submit their application form, download here, with a cover letter, supported by curriculum vitae, copies of certificates and testimonials, and must specify day time telephone contact, postal and email addresses of both the applicant and three referees, to the address below.
The Executive Director,
National Information Technology
Authority – UGANDA (NITA-U),
Palm Courts, Plot 7A, Rotary Avenue (former lugogo bypass)
P.O. Box 33151, Kampala-Uganda
Tel: 0417 801 038
Or via email: email@example.com (application must not exceed 10MBs)
Applicants must also submit with their application verifiable evidence supporting previous relevant appointments such as appointment letters and employment contracts.
Deadline: 26th September, 2014 (Not later than 17.00 hrs. Local Time).
NB: No application will be accepted without a duly completed and signed standard application form (referred to above).