Job Summary: The SMGC will have overall responsibility for the grants management function; including review of proposals, budget development and financial reporting. The SMGC will be responsible for developing the MakCHS grant management unit into a business unit which will contribute to the sustainability of MakCHS. The SMGC is evaluated by the MakCHS management.
Organisation: Makerere University College of Health Sciences (MakCHS)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Principal, MakCHS
Deadline: Friday, December 6th 2013 (5:00pm)
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop grants management as a business unit.
- Oversee the identification of funding opportunities nationally and intemationally, budget development process for grant proposals; and the submission of grant applications.
- Provide technical assistance in grants proposal development and management for MakCHS’ staff, students partners and others
- Manage the negotiation, finalisation and extension of contracts and sub-contracts) with MakCHS as either main or sub-contractor once an award has been made
- Manage relationships with funding organisations and support researchers of all levels throughout the project
- Supervise the tracking of financial performance of grants and projections, preparation of timely financial reports, as required — ensuring excellence in reporting content and forrnat; and check for regulatory compliance.
- Produce the Grants and Contracts Register each quarter.
- Manage necessary updates of the Grants Management Manual and policies.
- Development and implementation of MakCHS’ grants management training courses.
- Perform any other duties specified by the Principal, MakCHS
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should have at least a Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field.
- The candidate should have significant experience (minimum five years) in grants management, relating to funding agencies and reporting
- Sound experience of proposal development and review and budget preparation processes
- Experience in project planning and management.
- Excellent organisational skills including ability to track and monitor multiple projects simultaneously
- Good communication skills—both oral and written
- High proficiency in the use of office computers and spreadsheets.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to motivate and manage a team
How to Apply:
All candidates should send applications accompanied with detailed curriculum vitae, two letters of recommendation and photocopies of academic certificates and transcripts to: The Principal, Makerere University, College of Health Sciences, 1st Floor, Clinical Research Building, Publication and Information Center, P.O. Box 7072, Kampala, Uganda, Tel: 256414 530021
NB: Only short listed applicants will be contacted