Under the medical supervision by the United Nations Medical Director and the overall management of the resident representative, the UN Physician is the Head of the UN
Clinic of the UN system in Uganda. The Clinic Doctor works closely with World Health Organization (WHO) on health and medical matters and with UNDP on Administrative issues.
Job Tittle: UN Physician (Only open to Ugandans)
Duties and Responsibilities
|Performs clinical duties to serve all United Nations staff members and their eligible dependants in Uganda:
- Conduct pre-employment and periodic medical examinations of all Fixed Term and Permanent staff;
- Carry out medical examination and treatment of all staff and eligible dependents as necessary;
- Provide 24 hours on call services for medical emergencies outside fixed working hours;
- Provide medical treatment and consultation for visiting UN staff;
- Play advisory role in recommending medical evacuations;
- Attend to medical emergencies and arrange for hospital appointments and transportation when needed.
Perform administrative duties:
- Ensure the smooth functioning of the UN Clinic;
- Monitor utilization and consumption of medical supplies and consumables and coordinates timely procurement actions by staff concerned;
- Certify requests for sick leave submitted by staff;
- Provide evaluations from the clinical point of view, of problematic claims for medical insurance;
- Correspond and provide health- related information to the Director for Medical Service an Headquarters.
Perform coordination duties:
- Liaise with UNHQ on maintenance of list of examining physicians;
- Be aware and be updated on the availability of medical services and institutions locally, their facilities and quality of service, or appropriate referral of UN staff and their dependants as and when required;
- Visit hospitalized staff for support and consultation;
- Coordinate between the treating physicians and respective UN Medical services to ensure proper follow-up and further medical reports.
Performs other consultative function as Medical Doctor in Uganda Including:
- Arrange general briefings and information releases to staff at large on health related issues;
- Participate in the deliberations of national wide health related issues including on avian influenza;
- Serve as secretary to the UN Clinic Management Committee.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Advocates and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Demonstrate the highest level of confidentiality.
- Possess strong organizational and solid interpersonal skills;
- Be a good communicator and possessing a strong interest in knowledge sharing;
- Adequate IT skills;
- Ability to lead and coach staff to conduct peer training;
- Ability to conduct administrative work;
- Ability to prepare briefing material and conduct bringing sessions for large group.
Management and Leadership:
- Demonstrate good manners;
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Strong decision making and negotiation skills;
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolutions skills;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communications skills;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Required Skills and Experience
- Maters Degree in Medicine from a recognized International Medical School. Valid license to practice.
- 5 years progressively responsible experience and practice, in general and occupational medicine;
- Demonstrated capacity in management and providing advice on medical issues;
- Experience in preparing briefing material and conducting briefing sessions for large groups.
- Fluency in English; and
- Knowledge of a national language of the duty station.
UNDP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified Women are encouraged to apply.
For further details about the job , the terms of reference and application processes, please visit
http://jobs.undp.org and submit applications based on the instructions provided online.
Deadline: 20th November 2013