Job Title: Junior Project Officer
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Team Leader E4D/SOGA Uganda
Ref. No: GIZ – E4DJPO1018
The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is owned by the Federal republic of Germany with international operations in Uganda. GIZ implements commissions for the German government and other national and international, public and private sector clients within the framework of the international cooperation between the Federal Republic of Germany and the Government of Uganda.
About E4D/SOGA Project:
The objective of the regional programme “Employment and Skills for Eastern Africa” (E4D/SOGA) is to improve employment opportunities in Africa in cooperation with the private sector. Co-funded by DFID, NORAD, EU and Shell, the initiative is implemented in Kenia, Mozambique, Tanzania and Uganda. A particular focus is placed on employment in the natural resource-based industries and their adjacent supply chain sectors such as construction, infrastructure, transport and logistics, catering and food supply.
In Uganda, considerable amounts of natural resources, most prominently oil and precious minerals have been discovered over the last 10 years. These discoveries have led to investments in the economy and bring opportunities to elevate Uganda to a middle-income economy. Yet to exploit these resources and to maximize local benefits, Uganda will need qualified workers, craftsmen and technicians as well as local companies prepared for upcoming contracting opportunities. Based on an industry assessment, E4D/SOGA focusses on supporting vocational training institutes, to offer market relevant training and build a pool of internationally certified workers demanded by industry. At the same time, local suppliers receive support to improve their businesses and prepare towards successfully bidding for international contracts.
Job Summary: The Junior Project Officer provides support for;
- The team leader and project managers for whom the junior Project Officer performs technical tasks.
- Coordinating project activities and carrying out specific research tasks which are required for planning the implementation of projects or programmes.
- Carrying out specific tasks in connection with knowledge management for the project/programme.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Coordination and Monitoring
- Assists the M&E of the programme in data collection and evaluation.
- Assists with recording and documenting the results of activities on project progress, documents and reports.
- Assists with planning, coordinating and documenting meetings, workshops, seminars and other project activities with a focus on technical aspects.
- Draws up media analyses, participates in fora and public hearings on issues directly connected with the project/programme.
- Orders and distributes PR materials on the project/programme as well as GIZ PR materials.
- Assists with PR work for the project/programme.
Research: Work in close consultation with the manager or project manager, prepares and carries out research tasks to inform strategic planning, project development or implementation.
- Assists in drawing up reports, newsletters and factsheets
- Assists in communicating, updating and collecting information
- Updates project databases (e.g. partner companies or VTIs).
Implementation of project activities
- Supports the implementation of 1-2 partnerships of the programme implementing with the private sectors in project management
- Supports coordination work with schools for the organization of trainings
- Supports coordination of companies to facilitate internship opportunities for students.
- Is familiar with GIZ planning, implementation and reporting procedures and their changes.
- Is familiar with other programme components and GIZ-assisted measures, concepts and status of implementation and knows the corresponding experts and staff.
- Represents the interest of the GIZ-assisted measure and always acts on its behalf.
- Carries out important tasks for the project/programme, even if these are not explicitly cited in the job description
Other duties/additional tasks
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the GIZ Junior Project Officer job should hold a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field of Business Administration, Economics, Industrial engineering or other disciplines.
- Initial technical experience (internship or similar) in skills development, employment promotion, development cooperation, working with the private sector
- Initial experience in supporting project management, e.g. in setting up and managing operational plans, impact monitoring, organizing meetings and workshops, reporting.
- Good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office, Access or other database programmes)
- Experience of project management and research in an area related to the project’s/programme’s requirements is desirable
- Experience with M&E is a plus
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
- Excellent spoken and written English language
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
How to Apply:
All interested and qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply by submitting their application, CV and contacts of three referees to the Human Resource Department through firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note: the position is for nationals only. Please quote the reference number indicated for the position as the subject heading to avoid your application being rejected. Application and CV should be in one document. No other attachments are required at this stage. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 28th October 2018