EFC Uganda Limited (MDI) is a deposit taking Microfinance Company supervised by the Bank of Uganda and providing financial services to micro and small size enterprises (MSEs).
Commencing operations in 2012, the purpose of the EFC Uganda Limited (MDI) is to provide increased access to specialized financial services for entrepreneurs while contributing to wealth creation, improvement of living conditions and development of the Ugandan private sector. Owned by international and local investors, EFC Uganda is distinctive in its emphasis on local development through a collective ownership scheme.
Job Summary: The Legal Officer will ensure customer loans are properly documented closed and that loan/collateral agreements are well understood by the borrowers. S/he also ensures the development and implementation of legal processes for the seizure and disposal of collateral assets for loans in serious default. Reporting to the Disbursement Compliance Manager/DID Credit Advisor. The Legal Officer will minimize EFC credit risk by ensuring proper loan documentation and customer closing, correctly validating collateral and registering the collateral agreements. He /s she will also conduct, without affecting the continuation of business, all legal procedures for collateral liquidation when applicable.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: The Legal Officer is primarily responsible to:
- Support the Disbursement Compliance Manager/DID Credit Advisor in effective credit risk management;
- Keenly verify the accuracy of information related to assets pledged as collateral;
- Design, develop and implement the use collateral documents required for processing loan files;
- Ensure the safeguard of legal documents pertaining to assets given as collateral;
- Technically support Credit Officers with collateral identification as required;
- Support Credit Officers with loan recovery activities as required;
- Perform the required legal procedures for the liquidation and disposal of assets pledged as collateral;
- Ensure appropriate follow-up of EFC credit portfolio performance indicators and make/recommend appropriate corrective action as deemed necessary;
- Develop, recommend and implement action plans to minimize credit risk.
- Ensuring the validation, registration and realization of collateral as required;
- In charge of validating and obtaining signatures for loan agreements;
- Ensuring the registration of loan agreements;
- In charge of validating supporting documents that demonstrate property rights/ownership of the assets being pledged as collateral;
- Responsible for establishing the market value of assets being pledged as collateral with the assistance of external experts as required;
- Establishing the legal processes for seizure and sale of assets in the event of default;
- Asking a notary to draw up the legal documentation, when necessary;
- In charge of validating the registration of assets given as collateral;
- Ensuring the safeguard of the legal documents in a secure fireproof location;
- Managing loan recovery activities and supporting Credit Officers as required;
- Appointing a bailiff for the seizure and sale of assets pledged as collateral;
- Ensuring communication of information to all stakeholders involved in the collateral recovery and realization process;
- Actively participating in the development of the EFC business plan as required;
- Proposing quality risk management objectives according to the strategic direction and goals of the EFC;
- Performance of any other related duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Disbursement
- Compliance Manager/DID Credit Advisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Law;
- The incumbent should also hold a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice.
- At least two (2) years of work experience in Housing and/or MSE lending Legal experience in the financial services sector;
- Innovative problem solving skills;
- Strong people/relationship skills with a customer service and teamwork orientation;
- Action and results oriented with good time management and analytical skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Fluent in English and Luganda.
How to Apply for the job:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are requested to submit a letter of interest explaining their motivation for the position applied for together with their Curriculum Vitae, three professional references and copies of academic certificates/diplomas. The should be sent to: HR_OFFICER@efcug.com.
Deadline: 1st May, 2015