The Academic Registrar, Makerere University invites applications from suitable candidates FROM UGANDA for fully funded PhD scholarships in Engineering for the 2022/2023 Academic Year tenable in the College of Engineering, Design, Art and Technology (CEDAT).
The scholarships are part of a partnership between Makerere University and King’s College London under the Association of Research Universities in Africa (ARUA) PluS Alliance. The scholarships complement ARUA’s existing and in-development programmes to enhance the research and development capacity in Africa. With a particular focus on Engineering, the scholarships also seek to facilitate close working relations with industry in order to build research and innovation ecosystems within universities – including training in commercialization and knowledge transfer. It is expected that upon graduation, the students would contribute towards frameworks for technological innovation and sustainable development in Africa.
Key Priority Research Areas
The scholarships are to support research in the following key priority areas:
- Affordable and clean energy encompassing renewable energy production, energy storage, energy distribution, monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Sustainable production and consumption cover material development (including nano-material design), manufacturing and supply chain systems, as well as waste management and valorisation.
- Food security focuses on food production, food processing and quality control as well as food waste remediation and valorisation.
All these areas are broadly conceived, and students should be able to identify and articulate a research issue within them. Students are also encouraged (but not required) to identify 1-3 company(ies)/industry(ies) they would consider appropriate for the industry-stay component of the scholarship.
How to apply
- Visit the Makerere University’s Admissions URL https://apply.mak.ac.ug
- Sign up using your full name, e-mail and Mobile No. Please note that your name must be similar to the one on your supporting academic documents for your application to be considered valid.
- A password will be sent to both your e-mail and mobile number.
- The system will prompt you to change the password to the one you can easily remember.
- To fill a form (all form sections must be filled) the applicant clicks on the APPLY NOW button (for first-time applicants) or MY PORTAL button (for renewal of application) displayed on the appropriate scheme i.e. Taught PhDs, Masters & Postgrad Diplomas, and OR PhD by Research.
- All academic transcripts/certificates and passport photos should be scanned and uploaded to the system.
- You can access the referees’ letter by following the following link: https://rgt.mak.ac.ug/sites/default/files/file-attachments/Referee-Letter-of-Recommendation-for-Admission-to-Graduate-Programme.pdf These should be filled, scanned and uploaded.
- Obtain a payment ref no. by clicking on “Pay for Form” button
- Make payments at any of the banks used by the Uganda Revenue Authority. Application fee = UGX 50,000
NB: 2 sets of the system-generated application forms, certified copies of academic documents and 4 copies of the concept note should be submitted to office no. 410, Level 4, Senate Building, and email scanned copies of the documents as a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read Also: ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship for Developing Countries 2023
In addition to the application for admission, for the scholarship application, applicants must also submit a six-page (in single space, font size 11) research synopsis covering the Title of the Study; Study Background, Problem Statement; Key research question, Study objectives, Significance/rationale for the study; Conceptual Framework, Methodology and a Literature review of not more than three pages of six-page synopsis.
The research synopsis should come from any one of the priority research areas identified for this call.
Please see the Downloads for the detailed call and additional requirements.
For any further information about the scholarship, contact the Dean, School of Engineering, College of Engineering, Design, Art and Technology (CEDAT) via email at email@example.com
Closing date for Applications: Friday 31 March 2023