Job Title: Head Production and Trade Planning Department
The National Planning Authority (NPA) was established by an Act of Parliament No.15 of 2002 in compliance with article 125 of the Constitution of the Republic of Uganda (1995). Accordingly NPA is the principal statutory agency responsible for the management of national and decentralized development planning in Uganda. The primary function of the Authority is to produce comprehensive and integrated development plans for the country elaborated in terms of the perspective Vision, Long and Medium-term Plans.
Job Summary: The Head Production and Trade Planning will be responsible for coordinating and harmonizing development planning for the production and trade sub-sectors (agriculture, trade, tourism, environment and natural resources and cooperatives) .
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the head of the Department of Production and Trade in NPA, the officer will exercise all the administrative; professional; technical; and financial powers that are exercised by the heads of the department of the Authority,
- Work closely with the relevant partners to ensure that Sector Development Plans (SDPs) for the sub-sectors of production and trade, policies and priorities complement and are consistent with the national development agendas as defined in Uganda Vision 2040 and the national development plans (NDPs)
- Develop appropriate planning capacities and frameworks at both central and local government levels to address the fragmented planning and associated problems within the production and trade sub-sectors and to coordinate planning activities across such sectors so as to bring about efficient and cost-effective attainment of national development agendas/strategies.
- Ensure the integration of sector development plans for production and trade sub-sectors into the National Development Plans (NDPs);
- Act as a Technical Advisor to the Authority and Executive Director on all matters relating to the development planning function for the sub-sectors of production and trade (agriculture, environment and natural resources, tourism, trade and cooperatives);
- Regularly analyze trends and issues in production and trade sub-sectors to inform policy;
- Prepare policy briefs on issues relevant to production and trade sub- sectors for Board consideration;
- Provide back stopping roles to the MDAs and Local Governments with regards to development planning for the sub-sectors of production and trade.;
- Prepare departmental plans and budgets;
- Prepare project proposals for resource mobilisation to undertake projects in the Department;
- Responsible for the preparation of various activity reports for inclusion in the quarterly and annual reports of the Authority.
- Actively participate in monitoring and evaluation of core programmes in the production and trade sub-sectors;
- Build and maintains relations with MDAs, Local Governments, the private sector, academia and the civil society to enhance inter-Sectoral collaboration in production and trade development;
- Build and maintains strong partnerships with international, regional, and academia that are directly involved in supporting production and trade development;
- Represent the NPA in meetings; seminars and workshops in country, at regional and international levels;
- Perform any other duties as may be directed from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The incumbent should hold a Masters’ degree in Agriculture economics, Development Economics, Economic Policy & Planning,, or a closely related discipline from a recognized university.
- Possession of a Post graduate training in in any of the following areas: climate change, environment and natural resources; agriculture, trade and tourism development planning, or a closely related discipline from a recognized university/institution will be an added advantage.
- At least ten years’ experience, of which five at Senior Management level in the field of development planning in any of the following areas: agriculture; environment and natural resources;, tourism;, trade; and, cooperatives in a reputable public organization / institution.
How to Apply for the job:
All candidates are encouraged to send two sets of applications with detailed curriculum vitae clearly phone and email contacts, photocopies of academic and professional certificates and transcripts should be directed to: The Executive Director, National Planning Authority, P.O. Box 21434 Kampala, Uganda; Planning – House Plot 17B Clement Hill Road. The applicant should indicate the Ref No. of the post applied for in the top hand right corner the application envelope. On delivery, the applications shall be registered at the NPA Reception / Front desk.
Deadline: Thursday 30th April 2015 at 16:55 hours.