Job Title: Operations Coordinator
The American Refugee Committee (ARC) International is an International nonprofit, nonsectarian organization that provides humanitarian assistance and training to millions of beneficiaries around the world. The ARC seeks to promote peaceful and safe communities where men and women have equal rights and communities can access locally owned, high-quality services.
Job Summary: The ARC Operations Coordinator will be responsible for overseeing all operational support cells (Admin, Procurement, Logistics, IT, constructions and Security) for ARC Uganda. The Operations Coordinator works closely with Senior Programs Coordinator, HR Manager and Finance Controller to ensure effective communication and coordination.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operations Management:
- Logistics, Procurements, Legal issues and IT:
- Manage, mentor and coordinate the In-charges of the operations department (Admin, Logistics, Procurement, IT and Security) and provide direction to Operations field staff
- Implement, document and ensure that all ARC operations (Admin, Logistics, Procurement, IT and Security) policies and procedures are applied at all times by all staff and propose/develop improvements when required, in close cooperation with the Area Coordinators, Senior Programs Coordinator, Logisticians, IT In-charge and the CD
- Promote continuous training and mentoring to operations staff including identification of capacity building opportunities
- Take part in Grant Opening and Closing meetings to incorporate operations planning into overall project planning and evaluation
- Ensure regular communications are maintained between the field sites and the Kampala office
- Ensure preparation of reports as required and in accordance with deadlines
- Offers office services by implementing administrative systems, procedures, and policies; monitoring administrative projects; maintaining suggestion program.
- Maintains continuity of work operations by documenting and communicating needed actions to management; discovering irregularities; determining continuing needs.
- Completes administrative projects by identifying and implementing new technology and resources; redesigning systems; recommending re-deployment of designated resources.
- Procurement management and support to ensure that there is no disruption in the support necessary for ongoing program activities as well as operational requirements
- Ensure that all procurement is done according to ARC guidelines (and donor requirements where necessary).
- Carry out spot checks to ensure compliance with ARC guidelines (inventory control, fuel usage, procurement, warehouse control, etc.)
- Enforce the Standard Operating Principles (SOPs) as they relate to the role of the logistics department.
- Ensure proper and sufficient equipment is in place and well maintained for smooth functioning of ARC IT department and maximum preservation of assets
- Ensure that all administrative requirements and documentation are updated and respected (ARC Uganda registration, taxes, expatriate and office housing contracts, etc)
- Manage in-country visa requirements issues for expatriate staff
- Upon request from Program’s department with regards to program –related construction work, initiate the process of advertisement for obtaining quotations along with the bill of quantities from the interested contractors, including the process of bid-opening, analyzing and selecting of contractors
- Prepare contracts and negotiate revisions, change and additions to contractual agreements with the contractors
- Ensure that the contractor strictly adhere to agreed timelines with regards to the overall construction phase and that any delays should be justified in writing
- Take actions to deal with the results of delay, bad weather, or emergencies at construction site
- Review all request for payment by contractors ensuring that all such requests are within the reasonable construction accomplishment timeline.
- Assume overall responsibility for the security and safety of program staff and assets.
- Develop and continually update written security procedures and protocols.
- Mentor and train staff where necessary in safety and security procedures and protocols
- Work closely with UN organizations and international agencies on security matters when required
- Design/conduct training based upon security “best procedures” for staff
- Establish a good rapport with local and national level administrative, labor, customs, immigration, and other officials to ensure that ARC projects conform to local laws and customs and to minimize bureaucratic restraints on project implementation.
- Attend all meetings organized to discuss security and logistical issues impacting ARC operations on the ground (UNDSS, security meetings, etc)
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidates should hold Master’s degrees in Management with Bachelor’s degrees in Logistics/Procurement or hold degrees in Logistics, Procurement, Business Administration with CIPS certification
- Five or more years’ experience in Administration, logistics, procurement, IT, and security management with an International NGO.
- Demonstrated ability to manage field staff and remote field offices
- Past exposure and experience in guiding and influencing teams of senior professional staff.
- Excellent staff capacity building and training skills.
- Strong computer skills.
- Demonstrated ability and flexibility to adapt to changing requirements.
- Willingness to work for long hours/ weekend as may be required.
- Highly developed organizational, liaison and communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving, analytical and decision-making skills.
How to Apply for the job:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should send an application letter together with curriculum vitae, copies of academic documents/transcripts, names and contact details of three referees to: The Human Resources Manager, American Refugee Committee International Kampala, Uganda via Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: Friday, 3rd October, 2014