Job Title: PlayMatters Education Officer
Organisation: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Duty Station: Lamwo, Uganda
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities which support them, as well as those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 25 U.S. cities, we improve outcomes in the areas of health, safety, economic wellbeing, education, and power.
Job Summary: IRC is seeking to recruit an Education Officer for the PlayMatters project. The role is for one year but renewable. S/he is responsible for quality implementation, day to day coordination of activities and collaboration with other IRC sectors to ensure timely support and effective execution of the education component and activities. The role will also assist with capacity strengthening of volunteers and coordination.
S/he will also contribute to project monitoring, capacity strengthening, training, and participation in relevant multisectoral and inter-agency coordination forums and networks with varied structures and actors in the sub region. The Education Officer will technically report to the Project Manager-PlayMatters.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate, follow up and report on implementation of agreed project activities, decisions, and actions (programmatic and operational) as per plans and priorities
- Coordinate regular consultations, dialogues, information sharing, and feedback with evacuees, and other key stakeholders.
- Work closely with the ECCD caregivers and Primary school teachers on routine monitoring and support Supervision.
- Participate in relevant events, forums, and meetings coordination forums to share and keep abreast of opportunities and priorities that align with the education intervention goals, priorities, and plans.
- Work closely with the Project Manager -PlayMatters to coordinate consultants and strengthen capacities of volunteers, caregivers, and teachers.
- Support awareness creation, capacity assessments and delivery of technical support activities to facilitate adoption and application of intervention concepts, approaches, and practices.
- In liaison with MEAL Manager; support studies, assessments, and dissemination of learnings.
- Prepare and submit periodic and activity reports to supervisor(s).
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Degree in Education and post graduate diploma from an accredited Institution.
- At least five years of experience in education related programming (preferably in Early Childhood Development (ECD), Accelerated Learning Programs (ALP), Psychosocial Support (PSS), Play, digital learning, and language education programs)
- Proven track record and knowledge of different language acquisition approaches, especially the communication approach and conducting Language Proficiency Index (LPI) tests.
- Primary teacher or tutor working experience working with refugee and host communities.
- Prior experience working with multicultural refugees and diverse contexts.
- Experience in developing educational /training content, curricula, is an advantage
- Experience and abilities in using participatory training/ workshop techniques
- Ability to work well in and promote teamwork
- Strong communication and reporting skills, both oral and written.
- Good IT skills and knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Outlook required.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 11th April 2023