Principal Database Officer
Jobs at:Uganda Bureau of Statistics
Deadline of this Job:
8th November 2019
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
The Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) is a semi -autonomous body established by an Act of Parliament(l998) to promote the production of reliable official statistics and ensure the development and maintenance of the National Statistical System.
The Bureau’s core business includes, among others, the production, coordination and dissemination of official statistics to support development processes at local and national government levels, including policy, planning, decision- making, monitoring and evaluation.
The Bureau is implementing the National Information Platform for Nutrition (NIPN) project. it is seeking to recruit exceptional and dynamic qualified Ugandan professionals with high integrity and proven leadership skills, who are self-motivated and results oriented, to fill the position below;
Position; Principal Database Officer-(Data Manager)(1)
Reports: Director Socio Economic Survey and Director Information Technology
Probationary Period: 6 months
Type of appointment: Fixed Contract appointment of 35 Months
Role: To identify suitable data sets for the project, create, develop and”rnanage an archive of data sets which support efforts to create a national data archive to inform policies, programmes and interventions in all sectors that could contribute to better nutrition forthe Ugandan population..
The roles of Principal Database Officer will include or involve the following:
• Identify potential sources of data and negotiating with theirowners tortheiravailability to UBOS for analysis,with seniorstaff of UBOS/NIPN
• Translate analysis requests into a list of required datasets and schedule for their acquisition, processing, describing and cataloguing.
• Ensure that data sharing agreements arearranged between data providers and the host institution, with senior staff of UBOS/NlPN.
• Formulate and implement techniques to assess the accuracy and validity of data.
• Formulate and implement efficient and secure procedures for data handling and data sharing among the project team and other users.
• Enforce policies for ensuring data security to prevent security breaches and data loss, with the assistance of IT units of MDAs concerned,
• Develop a dashboard displaying nutritional specific interventions and sensitive approaches, and also ensure the dashboard is updated on a quarterly basis depending on the availability of data.
• Create an enabling environment among various sectors to ease data sharing and capacity building between them and UBOS/NIPN
• Oversee rules and procedures for data sharing.
• Plan and oversee the implementation of the infrastructure and network forthe data cleaning and analysis teams with the assistance of the UBOS lT staff.
• Monitor the ﬂow of datasets in both the data cleaning and analysis teams, and to ensure there are no bottlenecks in the distribution and sharing of data.
• Oversee the implementation, of daily operations and maintenance of the repository of datasets lorthe project as a part of the UBOS data repository
• Work with Data Editors to assess the quality of all data sets and add indices of quality to metadata.
• Develop syntax tiles in STATA to prepare and edit data ready toranalysis
• Ensure effective use of data to improve NIPN, including looking at summary statistics, trends and patterns, analyzing results, and making presentations to other sectors.
• Develop a searchable record of data sets using key words developed with the Senior Analysis Advisor and the Bureau.
• Any other duties as the Director SES andlor Head of the NIPN Analysis Unit responsible for statistics may determine; which are in line with the Bureau’s mandate
• A Master’s degree in Statistics, Economics, Epidemiology or Data and information Systems with a related iCi qualification from a recognized institution.
• Bachelor’s Degree (Honors) in Statistics, Economics, ICT or any other relevant degree from a recognized institution
Required skills and Experience:
• Five (5) years’ professional working experience of data management in a Government Department or reputable Agency in the ﬁeld of statistical production and development.
• Experience in using computer software to handle and managedatasets is required, ideallyon personal computers running Windows.
• Experience with creating database systems that meet an organization’s needs for the available data.
• Experience of database software such as Access and Excel.
• Experience of managing datasets using statistical software such as Stata
• Experience in the use of the micro data cataloguing tool, NADA, would be an advantage.
• Excellent communication skills and inter-personal relations
• Ability to lead and motivate a professional team with focus on results-oriented performance
• Sound knowledge and appreciation of computer applications
• Proven leadershipand managerial abilities
• Excellentanalytical, and presentation skills
• Strong attention to detail.
• High-level maths skills and the ability to translate mathematical information into concise reports
Job Education Requirements: Master’s degree
Job Experience Requirements: Five (5) years’
Job application procedure
If you believe you fit the required profile, please submit your application through the online application system available on the UBOS Website: www.ubos.org using this http://bit.ly/10koieU link.
Not Later than close of business on Friday 8th November 2019 at 5pm. No hardcopies shall be submitted. All applicants must attach relevant copies of academic transcripts, certificates and relevant appointment letters (PDF copies maximum 10MB).
Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted. All tendered in document will be verified with the relevant authorities. Any falsification of documents will lead to prosecution and any form of lobbying and canvassing will lead to automatic disqualiﬁcation.