Vacancy title: Principal Database Officer
Type: FULL TIME .
Category: Administrative & Office
Jobs at: Uganda Bureau of Statistics
Deadline of this Job: 19th December 2019
Duty Station: Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
The Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) is a semi —autonomous body established by an Act of Parliament (1998) to promote the production of reliable oﬁicial statistics and ensure the development and maintenance of the National Statistical System.
The Bureau’s core business includes, among others, the production, coordination and dissemination of oﬁicial statistics to support development processes at local and national government levels, including policy, planning, decision-making, monitoring and evaluation. The Bureau is implementing the National Information Platform for Nutrition (NIPNJ project. It is seeking to recruit exceptional and dynamic qualiﬁed Ugandan professionals with high integrity and proyen leadership skills, who are self-motivated and results oriented, to fill the position below;
Position: Principal Database Officer- (Data Manager)
Reports: Director Socio Economic Survey and Director Information Technology
Probationary Period: 6 months
Scale: UBOS SP1
Type of appointment: Fixed Contract appointment of 35 Months
Role: To identity suitable data sets tor the project, create, develop and manage an archive of data sets which support efforts to create a national data archive to inform policies, programmes and interventions in all sectors that could contribute to better nutrition for the Ugandan population..
The roles of Principal Database Oﬁicerwill include or involve the following:
• Identify potential sources of data and negotiating with their owners tor their availability to UBGS for analysis, with senior staff of UBOS/NIPN
• Translate analysis requests into a list of required datasets and schedule for their acquisition, processing, describing and cataloguing.
• Ensure that data sharing agreements are arranged between data providers and the host institution, with senior stah‘ of UBOSINIPN.
• Formulate and implement techniques to assess the accuracy and validity of data.
• Formulate and implement eﬁicient and secure procedures tor data handling and data sharing among the project team and other users.
• Enforce policies for ensuring data security to prevent security breaches and data loss, with the assistance of IT units of MDAs concerned.
• Develop a dashboard displaying nutritional speciﬁc interventions and sensitive approaches, and also ensure the dashboard is updated on a quarterly basis depending on the availability of data.
• Create an enabling environment among various sectors to ease data sharing and capacity building between them and UBGSINIPN
• Oversee rules and procedures for data sharing.
• Plan and oversee the implementation of the infrastructure and network for the data cleaning and analysis teams with the assistance ct the UBDS IT staff.
• Monitor the tlow ot datasets in both the data cleaning and analysis teams, and to ensure there are no bottlenecks in the distribution and sharing of data.
• Oversee the implementation, ct daily operations and maintenance of the repository of datasets for the project as a part ot the UBDS data repository
• Work with Data Editors to assess the quality ct all data sets and add indices of quality to metadata.
• Develop syntax ﬁles in STATA to prepare and edit data ready for analysis
• Ensure effective use of data to improve NIPN, including looking at summary statistics, trends and patterns, analyzing results, and making presentations to other sectors.
• Any other duties as the Director SES and for Head of the NIPN Analysis Unit responsible for statistics may determine; which are in line with the Bureau’s mandate
Required skills and Experience:
Five (5) years’ professional working experience of data management in a Government Department or reputable Agency in the field of statistical production and development.
• Experience in using computer software to handle and manage datasets is required, ideally on personal computers running Windows.
• Experience with creating database systems that meet an organization‘s needs tor the available data.
• Experience of database software such as Access and Excel.
• Experience of managing datasets using statistical software such as Stata or R.
• Experience in the use of the micro data cataloguing tool, NADA, would be an advantage.
• A master’s degree in Statistics, Economics, Epidemiology or Data and Information Systems with a related IGT qualification from a recognized institution.
• Bachelor’s Degree (Honors) in Statistics, Economics, IGT or any other relevant degree from a recognized institution
• Excellent communication skills and inter-personal relations
• Ability to lead and motivate a professional team with focus on results
• oriented performance
• Sound knowledge and appreciation of computer applications
• Proven leadership and managerial abilities
• Excellent analytical, and presentation skills
• Strong attention to detail.
• High-level maths skills and the ability to translate mathematical information into concise reports
Job Education Requirements: Master’s degree
Job Experience Requirements: Five (5) years
Job application procedure
If you believe you fit the required profile, please submit your application through the online application system available on the UBOS Website: www.ubos.org using this link http://bit.ly/10koieU . Not Later 19 December 2019 at 5pm. No hardcopies shall be submitted. All applicants must attach relevant copies of academic transcripts, certificates and relevant appointment letters. (PDF copies maximum 10MB
Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted. All tendered in document will be veriﬁed with the relevant authorities. Any falsiﬁcation of documents will lead to prosecution and any form of lobbying and canvassing will be lead to automatic disqualification.