Job Title: Principal Human Resources Officer
Organization: Inter-University Council for East Africa (IUCEA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Executive Secretary
The Inter-University Council for East Africa (IUCEA) is a strategic institution of the East African Community (EAC) responsible for the development and coordination of higher education and research in the region. Its mission is to promote strategic and sustainable development of higher education systems and research for supporting East Africa’s socio-economic development and regional integration. The IUCEA Vision is to become a strategic institution of EAC responsible for promoting, developing and coordinating human resources development and research in the region. Currently there are 100 member university institutions, both public and private from all the EAC Partner States of Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda.
Job Summary: The Principal Human Resource Officer will provide strategic leadership in the process of coordinating administration, utilization of ICT infrastructure and Human Resources of the organization. S/He will actively initiate the formulation, development and implementation of Human Resource Management and Development Policy, Rules and Regulations that will attract, develop and retain high quality staff for IUCEA; Procurement policy and guidelines. S/He will also be responsible for staff benefits and remuneration; staff training and development; organization development and management; Performance Management, staff welfare and employee relations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively coordinate development and implementation of unit’s strategies, policies, rules, regulations procedures/guidelines and programs.
- Prepare and provide input for timely preparation of annual program of activities and budget of IUCEA
- Responsible for the interpretation and ensure application of staff rules and regulations
- Oversee performance management for ail IUCEA staff
- Offer technical advice on Human resources, Information Technology and administrative issues to management and staff
- Provide cost effective and efficient administrative services including procurement of goods and services
- Manage transport issues and security of assets of IUCEA
- Provide protocol services to visitors and dignitaries visiting IUCEA
- Actively coordinate the selection and recruitment of staff in accordance with the established rules, procedures and practices
- Actively facilitate staff induction programs
- Provide advice on Human Resource issues to Management and Staff
- Coordinate payroll management lists
- Administer staff welfare services including staff medical and insurance schemes and formation of welfare associations/programs
- Actively facilitate the process of staff discipline, contract renewal and separation
- Maintain and update IUCEA database of job descriptions, skills inventory, staff establishment, job advertisements and application forms
- Performing any other duties that may be assigned by the Deputy Executive Secretary (PFA) from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should hold an MBA (Strategic Management/Business Administration/Human Resource) or MA in Public Administration or its equivalent from a recognized university
- Certified Public secretary (CPS K/T), Diploma in Human Resource/ Purchasing and supply Chain Management or its equivalent is an added advantage
- At least eight years’ experience, three of which at senior position in either in public service or a busy private establishment.
How to Apply for the job:
All candidates are strongly encouraged to send six (6) copies of their applications including the letter of application, CV, three referees’ contacts, copies of Certificates and testimonials and other relevant documents.
The applications should be marked “Application for the Post of Procurement Officer” and submitted to the following address:
Inter – University Council for East Africa,
East African Development Bank Building,
3rd Floor, Plot 4 Nile Avenue,
P.O. Box 7110,
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Deadline: 19th December 2014 by 5PM