Job Title: Programme Management Officer (UN Jobs)
Organisation: United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Opening Number: 23-Programme Management-RSCE-204182-J-Entebbe (X)
Reports to: Chief Regional Field Technology Service
The Regional Service Centre in Entebbe, Uganda (RSCE) was established in July 2010, following the adoption of General Assembly resolution 64/269. The Centre provides efficient, client-oriented and scalable services with the goal of moving transactional, non-location dependent administrative functions to the Centre from its client entities. This includes transactional elements of human resources, finance, multimodal movement and control, personnel and cargo transport and information and communications technology (ICT) support.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Within delegated authority, the Programme Management Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning and facilitating workshops, or through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan that the client will use to manage change.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
- Coordinates policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies, etc.
- Generates survey initiatives; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
- Mobilize UN partners’ contribution for regular support on implementation, monitoring and review of the UNCAP programme
- Work with partners in identifying gaps and opportunities to engage in a coordinated manner
- Develops, implements and evaluates assigned programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyses programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions.
- Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Provides guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafts mission summaries, etc.
- Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, and preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
- Provision of regular updates to the UNCAP stakeholders regarding training and capacity development on new technologies, including detailed roadmap, resource mobilisation and response ‘gap’ analysis.
- Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and
- studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., including proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Performs other related duties.
- Supervise the UN C4ISR Academy Entebbe cluster personnel in any aspects of the training program.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE) Programme Management Officer job must hold an advanced university degree (Master’s or Doctorate degree, or equivalent) in Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics, Statistics, or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in programme or project administration, operational support for capacity development and training, knowledge management, technical cooperation or related area is required.
- Military experience in Command, Control, Communications, Computers (C4), Intelligence – Surveillance – Reconnaissance (ISR) (C4ISR) or Camp security technical fields with a focus on the technology training course and curriculum development, training assessments and validation, and training innovative solutions are desirable.
- Languages: fluency in oral or written English is required; Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of policies, practices and regulations on management of supplies, purchasing and logistics and the ability to apply them in an organizational environment. Ability to maintain accurate records and prepare reports on a wide variety of data. Knowledge of the Organization’s financial rules and regulations, as well as budgetary, administrative procedures, policies and directives, with respect to specialized tasks in supply management, logistics and transport operations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the United Nations should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 19th March 2023