Job Title: Senior Human Resource Officer
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Human Resource Coordinator
Salary Scale: 4M – 5M Gross
ALIGHT, formerly the American Refugee Committee (ARC), is an international non-profit, non-sectarian organization that has provided humanitarian assistance and training to millions of beneficiaries over the last 40 years. In 2011, Alight helped nearly 2.5 million people get essential services to regain their health and take back control of their lives. Alight works with its partners and constituencies to provide opportunities and expertise to communities of refugees and internally displaced persons in seven countries in Africa, Asia and Europe, including Iraq, Kosovo, and in the Darfur region of Sudan and is currently providing for emergency relief and recovery in Haiti. Alight provides shelter, clean water and sanitation, health care, skills training, microcredit education, protection to help survivors of war and natural disasters to rebuild their lives with dignity, health care, security and self-sufficiency.
Job Summary: The Senior Human Resource Office will be responsible for providing support in implementation of the various human resource functions, which include Recruitment, Staffing, Training and Development, Performance management, Monitoring compensation management, Employee counselling, and Support in FRRM reporting..
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Recruitment and Selection
- Manage staff recruitment and selection processes, including drafting and ensuring timely placement of job advertisements as recommended by the program or Organization needs.
- Coordinate recruitment with Line managers and HR Coordinator in line with ALIGHT’s recruitment and selection procedures.
- Ensure completeness of vacancy advertisements, short lists, coordinate and participate in the design of selection instruments, and interviews.
- Ensure Coordinate and/or prepare corresponding interview reports for file.
- Ensure background checks and reference checks are undertaken and filed.
- Manage onboarding processes are coordinated for all new hires through.
- Ensure employment contracts and reference letters for both new staff and existing staff are issued timely.
- Ensure induction/orientation programmes are prepared for all new staff
- Train new staff on timesheets and leave.
- Ensure all new employees have signed contracts and provided with respective policy documents as per T&C of service.
- Coordinate onboarding processes for all new hires.
- Ensures Performance Management – Line managers are equipped with the skills and confident to be able to effectively manage the performance of their teams and the individuals within it to support the delivery of ALIGHT strategy.
- Support the Performance Management process of the Organization while ensuring all staff & Managers understand the system.
- Support/train staff and sector heads on setting objectives.
- Monitor assessment of staff on probation as per the Labor requirements and remind supervisors when probation evaluations are due (1 month before end of probation)
- Coordinate, receive and monitor submission of the PMS ensuring that all staff have submitted completed in line with PMS policy and then inform management on the results and necessarily steps to take thereafter.
- Update organograms and share with the Human Resources Coordinator on a regular basis for review.
- Manage payroll preparation by provision of monthly payroll updates to the Human Resources Coordinator timely.
- Support in ensuring that staff get their pays lips on a monthly basis.
- Review incentive worker and temporary staff payrolls.
Policy and Procedure adherence:
- In collaboration with the HR Coordinator, communicate policies and procedures.
- Review program operations to determine need for new or revised policies or procedures.
- Include SEA policy reminders as part of staff meetings
- Ensure that all staff have signed the SEA acknowledgement form.
Time and attendance
- Provide support to sector heads to ensure clear leave plans are done.
- Maintain an up-to-date leave tracking system for all staff, while providing regular updates to staff about leave days and leave plans as per the HR leave policy.
- Prepare a monthly leave report and share with the Human Resources Coordinator for review and further action.
- Work with the HR Coordinator to ensure that timesheets are submitted while ensuring that deadlines are adhered to before payroll preparation.
- Ensure all staff timesheets are completed accurately by the end of each month.
Staff Capacity Building
- Conducts needs assessment to determine organization training needs in collaboration with HRC
- Evaluates training programs for effectiveness and recommend revisions to the HR Coordinator
- Focal point for ALIGHT LEADS.
- Encourage staff to provide feedback and establish mechanism to receive and address complaints and grievances from staff.
Human Resource Information Management Systems
- Maintaining the ALIGHT archives for HR department both electronic and personnel files in an organized a safe way
- Coordinate with your line Manager to ensure that key HR data bases are developed, maintained accordingly.
- Update the HR Software with the respective staff information such as change in titles, salary and exit status accordingly.
Exit coordination and management
- Manage exit of staff to ensure the HR Software is updated and information is accurate for computation of severance dues.
- Manage the staff clearance processes and ensure payment of terminal benefits within policy.
- Accurately complete the indemnity form, review and send to respective exiting staff for signing.
Coordination of Cases and allegations for Country Program
- Receive all cases / allegations for Country Program
- Assign them to relevant Officers for investigation and follow up
- Debrief team leaders in areas concerned to ensure FOC are contacted and investigations are made
- Analyze feedback
- Prepare reports, hold debrief with Management for approval as appropriate and update status on the necessary platforms
- Participate/support in discipline management.
- Monitor the implementation of a proper filing system of all HR documents and related correspondences within their jurisdiction.
- Prepare manpower statistics, including information for Quarterly report on new hires / exit staff (respective appointments/exits), and any other required HR reports for HR Coordinator and management
- Participate in periodical reviews of HR policies and strategies, employee opinion surveys and make recommendations for better running of the department.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a degree in Human Resources Management or related field with a Post Graduate Diploma in HRM
- At least four years of HR experience working experience in an INGO preferably humanitarian
- Knowledge of the Human Resource Information management systems
- Proven organizational skills and multitask under tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of operationalizing HR in a busy INGO environment.
- High level of integrity & Confidentiality
- Strongly drives performance forward in area of the business for which they are responsible together with the team.
- Sets a strong learning culture in their part of the organisation.
- Remains calm and positive under pressure and in difficult situations.
- Excellent written and spoken English skills
- Analytical skills for analysis of reported cases / allegations and make necessary reports after conclusion.
- Strong analytical, organization, planning and communication skills
- Proven skills in the full range of general HR needs including data management, administration, recruitment, pay and employee relations is essential
- He/she is also expected to ensure that ALIGHT policies and local labour laws are adhered to.
- Synthesize and analyze feedback from staff on general HR requirements
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 22nd August 2022 at 5:00pm