Uganda Christian University (UCU) has appointed a new Vice Chancellor Prof Aaron Mushengyezi aged 53 to replace Dr Rev John Senyonyi.
According to the newly appointed Vice Chancellor Prof Mushengyezi, the university completely depends on tuition from students. He has promised to establish new income generating projects for the university to depend on and to reduce tuition fees.
Among the project include;
- Mobilize all local churches countrywide to support UCU spiritual and development programs such as research and book writing to generate some money
- To Encourage UCU staff to start saving among others
- Set up building
During a press briefing on Saturday 29 February 2020, he made the following statements.
- “I will make sure we invest in assets that bring in more income so that the university does not rely on tuition alone,”
- He further said since UCU has about 800 staff, they have the capacity to save Shs1 billion annually to start up projects that can benefit the community.
- “I am going to put up a mall with in the university to generate income for our university than relying on tuition,” he noted.
- He said this is the time to look at centres to bring in money than increasing tuition every time.
- Prof Mushengyezi has also vowed to mobilise all local churches countrywide to support UCU spiritual and development programs such as research and book writing to generate some money.
The former Archbishop of Church of Uganda Rev Stanley Ntagali affirm that the right procedures were followed accompanied with in-depth consultations with various stakeholders as they appointed Prof Mushengyezi
“In your leadership, you will experience great times but you will also be faced with challenges, I leave you with Isaiah 41,” Archbishop Ntagali said.
Prof Mushengyezi will start operation as Vice Chancellor for Uganda Christian University from September 1, 2020.