The Vice-Chancellor of Uganda Martyrs University Rev. Prof. John Chrysostom Maviiri says the University will celebrate twenty-five (25) years of its existence on Friday 9th November 2018.
The theme for the celebrations is; Celebrating 25 years of Excellence in the Footsteps of the Uganda Martyrs – which was rooted from the Uganda Martyrs in whose name the University was named since 1993.
He was addressing a press conference together with Mr Gervase Ndyanabo and the President, Uganda Martyrs University Alumni Association (UMUAA) Associate Professor Vincent Bagire on Monday 17th September 2018 addressed the press at the Catholic Secretariat Nsambya.
Rev. Prof. Maviiri noted that since its beginning in 1993 with 84 students, the University has now over 5,000 students in more than 80 academic programmes, running in seven Campuses located in all four Ecclesiastical Provinces of the Catholic Church in Uganda which include; Mbale, Masaka, Kabale, Ngetta in Lira, Lubaga, Nsambya, Fort Portal and Nkozi Main campus.
“Over the years, Uganda Martyrs University has passed out over 18,000 graduates/alumni of integrity, many of whom are actively contributing to the development of this Country in different capacities”, Rev. Prof. John Chrysostom Maviiri says.
The Chairperson of the Silver Jubilee celebrations Mr. Gervace Ndyanabo, in his remarks updated the media on someof the activities that have taken place since the launch of the celebrations on 10th May 2017 at the Uganda Martyrs University, Lubaga Campus.
- Scholarly publications on INNOVATING HIGHER EDUCATION TO MEET THE CHALLENGES OF THE 21ST CENTURY: A book in celebration of the 25 years of Uganda Martyrs University’s excellence (1993-2018),
- Fundraising for the Silver Jubilee complex at the UMU Lubaga campus
- Pilgrimage to Uganda Martyrs Shrine at Namugongo
- The Bernard Onyango Memorial Lecture held on Thursday 20th September at Protea Hotel Kampala.
- A sports gala with Members of Parliament which took place at UMU Nkozi play ground on Friday 21st September 2018,
Other activities will include the Fundraising luncheon at UMU Masaka campus on Sunday 14thOctober 2018,
- The UMU Pilgrimage to Paimol Martyrs Shrine on 20th October 2018,
- The UMU Day celebrations on 18th October 2018,
- The Silver Jubilee Graduation on Thursday 8th November 2018
- The climax of the celebrations on Friday 9th November 2018 at the main campus in Nkozi.
“I call upon all the stakeholders of Uganda Martyrs University; the Alumni, Parents, Students, Government agencies, the private sector, friends and partners of Uganda Martyrs University within Uganda and outside to join us in the celebrations”, says the Vice-Chancellor Uganda Martyrs University.