Job Title: SACCO & Livelihoods Assistant (Volunteer Opportunity)
The LCLC is implementing the Community Self-Help Strategy to enhance community livelihoods.
Job Summary: The SACCO & Livelihoods Development Assistant will work with local groups and the Australian Red Cross volunteer to implement livelihoods programs in the village.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Mobilisation of community SACCO groups to:
· Promote the principles of self-help based on Ubuntu, Harambee or Saemaul Undong development philosophies.
· Mobilise and coordinate community construction of the SACCO store.
· Ensure groups are duly registered.
· Ensure groups understand the importance and principles of SACCOs.
2. Capacity building and training of SACCO groups:
· Source or develop simple training materials.
· Deliver training on: Group leadership and governance; Group dynamics, Savings and Credit; Finance management.
· Organise external trainers to facilitate group development.
3. Coordinate registration of Ligingi SACCO at: Sub-county and National level
4. Develop new business opportunities for groups:
- Conduct market research and advise groups on investment opportunities.
- Advise on Food processing, value addition and marketing.
- Link Ligingi SACCO with other groups.
- Write SACCO projects to empower groups with livelihood opportunities.
- Take photos, videos and write fortnightly blogs and stories for Ligingi Social media and website.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must possess qualification in Community Development, Rural Development, Business or Economics
- A minimum of three years’ experience with rural communities in the area of livelihoods development / training and SACCO.
- Prior experience living and working or willingness to live in a rural community with basic amenities for at least 6 months.
- Females are preferred aged above 25 years.
- This role may be extended based on performance and funding availability.
- Stipend for meals and travel.
- Fully furnished and shared accommodation.
- Recommendation upon successful completion of placement / role depending on performance.
NB: East African or international volunteer. International volunteers must be able to afford their medical and flight expenses to and from Uganda.
How to Apply for the job:
If interested in the aforementioned opportunity, please send your application to email@example.com by stating your experience with SACCOs (Please do not attach academic credentials).
All interviews will be conducted via email, telephone or skype.
This position commences in February 2014, applications will be reviewed immediately.
Deadline: 25th January, 2014