Job Title: WASH Officer (2 NGO Jobs)
Organisation: Action Against Hunger-USA
Duty Station: Kyangwali and Nakivale, Uganda
Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in 8 countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Cambodia, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Haiti and Somalia. Action Against Hunger-USA has over $75 million in programs, and approximately 2000 staff based in in the various country offices, Head Quarter in New York City and Operational Centre in Nairobi. Additional growth is anticipated.
Job Summary: The WASH Officer is the focal point for the implementation of WASH and will take lead on providing overall technical and programmatic support for the planning, implementation, management, and monitoring of household latrine construction.
The WASH Officer will oversee household latrine construction support activities and WASH kit distributions, plan and roll out WASH behavioural change activities, community mobilization and sensitisation of targeted beneficiaries on Hygiene and sanitation activities in the settlement in collaboration with the team and under management of the Program Manager. The WASH Officer will supervise Community Based Hygiene Agents (CBHA) and 23 hygiene promoters.
Also Read:Database Administrator Job – Ministry of Health
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide technical support to the implementation of WASH interventions (50%)
- Develop structural designs in ArchiCAD or any other standard application for the various construction works and structures with in the program area.
- Supervise the Development, construction and rehabilitation of appropriate WASH infrastructure in the emergency program
- Ensure timely fabrication of slabs by masons groups in adherence to technical specifications and organise distribution of slabs to targeted households.
- Ensure timely household latrine construction by the targeted households.
- Promote Safe water storage and good sanitation and hygiene practices at the household level.
- Participate in all program assessments and researches on Behavioural change and project implementation
- Support the PM to identify household’s sanitation needs and design appropriate WASH approaches, HESAN promotion topics, sessions and BCC materials.
- Capacity building of CBFs and Hygiene promoters on basics of hygiene promotion/education, methods/approaches, communication and facilitation skills.
- Training of local youth artisans on fabrication of dome slabs and latrine construction
- Training of youth groups on HH latrine construction to support PSN beneficiaries.
- Technically Support CBFs to prepare detailed implementation plans for community mobilization, and sensitisation and monitoring latrine construction and use and other HESAN practices with PM support
- Take lead in all community participatory WASH sessions geared at promotion of good hygiene and sanitation practices.
Build the capacity of WASH Community based facilitators to effectively implement WASH activities (30%)
- Conduct detailed induction and orientation of new staff under your supervision ensuring that all relevant documents and tools of work are shared with new staff
- Identify training needs and build capacity of WASH CBFs in all key technical programme aspects.
- Provide capacity development training and support to the key stakeholders & project staff to effectively mobilize and deliver WASH related to beneficiaries.
- Ensure that staff under your supervision are effectively prepared and supported to deliver their tasks and perform to expectation.
Assessments, monitoring and reporting (15%)
- Participate in beneficiary profiling, beneficiary registration, and base line-end line assessments in WASH activities through technical review and guidance on data collection tools.
- Participate in all project review assessments, surveys and studies and ensure these are conducted as per protocol.
- Document and compile reports on project activities including Monthly & Quarterly donor reports, internal reports (Project Activity Reports (APRs) and activity reports (meetings, and any other activity).
- Support the establishment of a database for all project activities to regularly monitor and evaluate their activities.
- Take leadership in reporting on project progress, success stories and lessons learned during project implementation.
Coordination and representation (5 %)
- Participate in appropriate multi-district activities related to WASH.
- Ensure that stakeholders are sensitized on program accountability and have information on beneficiary feedback mechanism.
- Work closely with relevant district departments, UNHCR and OPM to share relevant information.
- Participate in internal and external meetings as per the PM guidance
- Coordinate with other sections of Action Against Hunger and all other stakeholders in the response.
- Attend donor meetings and field visits as required.
- Deliver diligently in any other duties as assigned from time to time
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil and structural Engineering, Water Resource Engineering or other relevant field with at least four years’ continuous experience implementing WASH related activities.
- Previous work with a busy multi-sectoral setting in a refugee setting is an asset
- Knowledge and practical experience in value chain development.
- Knowledge and practical experience in public private partnerships.
- Previous work experience with farmer organizations.
- Capacity building of organizations and individuals
- Participatory training methodologies
- Network of private sector contacts
- Strong presentation skills with mastery of Power point, Excel, MS word
- Strong communication skills (written and oral) in English
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently
- Team player, extremely flexible with the ability to cope with stressful situations
- Excellent reporting skills with good oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of the local language is an added advantage
- Culturally sensitive
- Must be able to ride a motorcycle and possess a valid riding permit
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 1st March 2023