Job Title: Finance Assistant
Organization: United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Vacancy Announcement Number: RSCE/TJO/FAG4/2014
The Regional Service Centre Steering Committee is the decision-making body for RSCE, in compliance with General Assembly resolutions, United Nations Secretariat rules and regulations, strategic guidance from United Nations Headquarters and oversight bodies. The Steering Committee consults with the Global Field Support Strategy Implementation Coordination Team, as required.
The Regional Service Centre, as approved by the Member States, is owned, managed and staffed by the regional missions it serves. This framework reinforces the existing missions’ chain of command structures and lines of authority in a manner that does not create an additional layer between Headquarters and the regional missions. It also ensures that staffing for RSCE will be achieved through the redeployment of resources from the regional missions it serves.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Service Line Manager, the Finance Assistant will perform the following duties:
- Intuitively record and reconcile accounting transactions;
- Examine, check and record financial transactions and prepare remittances for disbursement;
- Reconcile bank accounts held in USD and other currencies;
- Support in the processing of payments to vendors for goods and services. This includes, among others, calculating, inputting, and checking payments for correctness and communicating discrepancies to supervisors;
- Assist in processing payments to staff members for their entitlements including salaries and claims
- Draft/prepare memoranda and/ or faxes to various sections, and UN Headquarters, New York:
- Respond on time to queries from staff members and third parties
- Perform other duties as may be required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations Finance Assistant job opportunity should hold a High school diploma or equivalent. Post-secondary education at college/ university level or professional qualification from a recognized training institution in Accounting, Business Administration and/ or Financial Management especially ACCA/ CPA is an added advantage
- A minimum of four (4) years of progressively relevant experience in a recognized large private or public organization.
- Proficiency in IFRS/IPSAS and skills in finance ERP systems is desirable.
Languages: Fluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of other UN languages is an advantage.
Professionalism: Ability to grasp concepts; logical and analytical approach to problem solving.
Technological Awareness: Solid computer skills, including proficiency and in-depth knowledge of ERP financial modules and applications as they relate to accounting procedures; proficiency in various spreadsheet and word processing applications.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ idea and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates who wish to join the United Nations in the aforementioned capacity should submit their applications which should include the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- The United Nations Personal History form (P-11), download here
- Proof of required academic credentials (for external applicants)
- Employment verification letter from most recent employer (for external applicants)
- Last two completed Performance Appraisal or two Reference Letters for external applicants
- Other: Please State the Reference in the Subject of Your Application (Vacancy Announcement Number) – Please See Top of Advert
All complete application documents should be sent via to: the Chief RSCE, email@example.com and copy Judi Birch, firstname.lastname@example.org
Or Send hard copies to: RSCE Entebbe Support Base, Baku Road, P.O. Box 710, Entebbe, Uganda.
Deadline: 5th December, 2014