Job Title: Executive/Technical Assistant, Office of the Executive Secretary
The Regional Universities Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture (RUFORUM), established in 2004, is a consortium of 42 universities in 19 countries of Eastern, Central and Southern Africa (ECSA).
The organisation evolved from the Forum on Agricultural Resource Husbandry (FORUM) program of the Rockefeller Foundation.
RUFORUM is registered as an International Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) and has mandate to oversee graduate training and networks of specialization in the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA).
RUFORUM has an MoU with the African Union for strengthening science, technology and innovation capacity in Africa.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Technical Support to the ES:
- Support the ES in performing his/her function as the Secretary to the Board of Directors and Board Committees to:
- Advise the Executive Secretary on strategic issues that relate to the core business of RUFORUM
- Follow-up technical issues on behalf of the ES. These issues include but are not limited to: selected assignments from the ES to Secretariat staff, selected commitments made by the ES to partners and vice versa, requests to and from partners
- Compile and prepare the ES’s progress reports to RUFORUM’s AGM, Board of Directors, Board Committees, Funding agencies and Network partners
- Assist the ES’s advocacy, partnerships and resource mobilization functions, in liaison with other units especially Partnership and Business Administration
- Manage the revision and updating of the Secretariat’s Operational Manuals and support documents (such as Finance and Human Resource Manuals)
- Accompany the ES on official missions to assist him/her in organizing appointments, preparing content for meetings, and capturing in back-to-office reports highlights of the mission and the issues for follow-up by RUFORUM and partners.
- Prepare for AGM, Board and Committee Meetings (draft the concept notes including the agenda, collation and distribution of the documentation and overseeing the logistical arrangements)
- Capture the AGM, Board and Board Committees proceedings and produce drafts of the minutes,
- Follow-up the implementation of AGM, Board and Committees decisions, and
- Perform any other duties as will be assigned by the Executive Secretary
- Prepare technical materials not reflected above
- Intuitively review and analyze documents to generate synthesis papers with recommendations that generate appropriate actions from RUFORUM and partners
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should hold a PhD or Master’s degree in international relations, economics, business management, agricultural economics, natural resources management, agricultural extension, agricultural education, engineering or a related field.
- A minimum of three or more years’ working experience with similar responsibilities in an organization with a mandate comparable to RUFORUM geographical scope and sector breadth; a Post Doc position of two years will also be considered as applicable experience.
- A strategic mind-set and proven ability to synthesize information into succinct messages; Strong quantitative analytical skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Willingness to work during weekends and to travel at short notice
How to Apply for the job:
All candidates are encouraged to send their applications via email to Secretariat@ruforum.org, or delivered in hard copy (with CD enclosed containing soft copy) to:
The Executive Secretary
RUFORUM Secretariat, Plot 151 Garden Hill,
Makerere University, P.O Box 16811, Wandegeya
(Ref: RUF/JOB/….: ……………….)
Applicants should quote the reference number and job applied for, and should attach photocopies of necessary academic support documents, including letters from two referees. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Screening of applications will begin in November, 2014, and will continue until the post is filled.
Deadline: 20th October, 2014 by 5pm