Job Title: Associate Director of Technical Programs
Organisation: United States US Embassy, US Mission in Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Salary: UGX 306,712,607
The United States Embassy in Kampala, Uganda has enjoyed diplomatic relations with Uganda for over 30 years. Ambassador Natalie E. Brown currently heads the U.S Mission to Uganda. The Mission is composed of several offices and organizations all working under the auspices of the Embassy and at the direction of the Ambassador.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The incumbent of this position serves as the most senior foreign service national (FSN) technical staff member, Associate Director for Technical Programs in the Division of Global HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) and tuberculosis (TB), at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Uganda office and reports directly to the CDC Country Director.
- The main duties of the incumbent are to assist in program developing and planning of overall programmatic goals and objectives including developing notice of funding opportunities (NOFOs) and proposals that pertain to funding and implementation of program activities and participates in decisions related to the commitment of resources (President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), Global Health Security (GHS), and targeted opportunities for central funding), including recommending the hiring of personnel and allocation of funds.
- The incumbent supervises, provides mentoring, coordinates work assignments, and monitors performance of the Health Services, Laboratory, and Prevention Branch Chiefs and Senior Program Advisor and indirectly supervises up to 30 public health specialists.
- Monitors program progress and performance of the CDC Uganda technical portfolio and integration of objectives and priorities across branches and identifies problems in program implementation and works with senior CDC leadership to initiate corrective action to improve program performance.
- Will serve as official project officer as a Direct Hire FSN responsible for performance management of multiple large cooperative agreements, interfacing with headquarters (HQ) grants management office as needed.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Completion of Doctoral level (DrPH, MD or PhD) degree or host country equivalent in medicine, nursing, public health, epidemiology, or bio-behavioral sciences is required.
- Seven years mid to senior level public health experience in developing, implementing, and evaluating HIV/AIDS programing or other public health development assistance programs that involve coordination with an international agency or implementing partner is required. This must include at least two years of experience at the managerial level with multiple staff.
- Fluent speaking/reading/writing English is required.
- Outstanding ability to communicate medical, scientific and epidemiological principles in infectious diseases, particularly HIV and TB epidemiology is required. Ability to provide strong and sensitive leadership and guidance in operational research and HIV and TB prevention, care and treatment implementation activities in Uganda is required. Exceptional skill in working with MOH personnel, clinic professionals, universities, and collaborating partners to establish and conduct prevention and treatment programs is required Capability of providing medical and public health advice and consultation as a national and internationally recognized expert. The ability to be organized and accountable for management of an implementing partner’s performance and understanding public health development programs in a bilateral assistance context is required. Good numerical skills required for monitoring the funds allocated to HIV and TB grants, contractors, and cooperative agreement partners. Must be able to use of agency specific databases as well as basic software packages.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
How to Apply:
All those interested in working with the United States Embassy, US Mission in Kampala should send their applications online at the link below.
Deadline: 27th June 2022