Job Title: Business Support Manager
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Country Director
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty. We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
To provide a professional, business focussed finance, IT and logistics service, delivering a proactive solutions based approach for resolving issues and ensuring that the operational business requirements are effectively managed to deliver organisational results, and support the achievement of program outcomes
Job Summary: The purpose of the job is to contribute actively to the development of country plans and strategies, which are aligned to corporate objectives and priorities. The job holder will be responsible for the implementation of financial, Security, IT, and logistics strategies, policies and procedures and the provision of quality support to programme teams and other support functions. To Manage resources – budget and people, ensuring quality reports and timelines are adhered to and optimal utilization of resources. A member of Country Management Team.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic direction and expert business advice to the Country Director and Oxfam in Uganda program
- Participate in the strategic management of the Uganda program, by serving on the management team
- To provide leadership to the business services team, act as a business partner to Oxfam in Uganda, and manage all business process in compliance with Oxfam policy and local laws.
- To support, advise and when delegated, or necessary, manage the program staff on financial, logistics and administration issues, to maintain the link with program work and support functions.
- Support and advise the CD & Program Management Team in the financial management linked to program work.
- Contribute to the development, implementation and achievement of Oxfam strategies and approaches through Program and
- Participate and contribute to country strategic planning processes, by ensuring effective collaboration with all department/unit heads and support them with their financial planning processes. Participate in strategic & operational planning at CO level, contributing personal expertise in financial management and risk implications.
- Ensure that all required internal controls are in place and followed and continuously identify ways of strengthening controls.
- Improvement in business processes, creating awareness on fraud related tendencies, maintaining a risk register and creating mitigating mechanisms, strengthening reviews of documents and also processes and procedures.
- Ensure that mechanisms for monitoring, control and review of budget implementation are in place, including “health check” reviews of country office cost recovery efforts, continuously analyzing the extent to which the country office is recovering its costs for shared Program Costs.
- To periodically monitor programme spending and performance of the Field Office and revise where needed the (financial) planning. To record this in the management information systems. In cooperation with the Country Director, prepare the field office input for the Balance Score Card (BSC)
Manage the business services team
- Provide overall management and co-ordination for all aspects of program support, this will include overseeing the work of the finance and logistic teams both at country and field levels.
- Manage, mentor and guide the Business Support team (financial and donor accountants, accounts assistant, IT/Logs staff)
- To be accountable for the implementation of the corporate finance strategy and ensure effective financial management, asset management and financial accountability within the Country;
- Managing all aspects of finance procedures in-country in line within Oxfam standards
- Manage and oversee the IT function by monitoring IT infrastructure and making recommendations for improvements
- Manage and oversee the logistics function by ensuring compliance to corporate procurement and other policies and all appropriate operational procedures are in place, by regular reviews and audit checks
- Manage business processes and ensure compliance with local law, accepted business standards and Oxfam corporate policy
- Develop and implement policies, procedures and operational systems that will ensure smooth running of Oxfam finances and the delivery of a good standard of customer service by the finance Logistics and ICT Teams.
- Monitor the relevance of existing policies, procedures and systems in order to identify areas for improvement, striving for greater efficiency; take corrective actions as appropriate, referring to Accountable Managers, CO CMT, HQ as may be deemed necessary
- Ensure compliance with local law in finance and, related areas
- To support the provision of quality business support in areas such as Logistics and IT
- Development of customer service attitude within the finance and a focus on integrated teamwork.
- Proactively address the interface between purchasing & logistics and finance and IT in-country to ensure efficiency and accountability
- Focal point for both internal and external audits, and special project audits
- Signatory to country bank accounts
- Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, Finance or Business Management or related field
- Fully Certified Public Accountant (CPA and / or ACCA),
- At least five years as a Finance Manager or equivalent experience working in the developmental and / or humanitarian sector specific technical experience in budgeting, accounting, financial reporting, grants/contracts management and business management
- Relevant donor policies and procedures
- Solid analytical skills and problem solving
- Ability to maintain customer focus while handling multiple priorities
- Ability to learn quickly new systems, processes and procedures and accept local practices to global standards
- Ability to both lead teams and work with teams,
- Ability to work at detailed level while understanding the larger picture
- Proficiency in Microsoft office and financial software applications (SAP / Pastel) and banking software
- Good communication skills both oral and written in English
- A candidate with INGO experience
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.