Job Title: Area Manager – West Nile Region
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Humanitarian Program Manager
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty. We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
Job Summary: The Area Manager – West Nile Region, Arua will effectively manage and develop the OXFAM programme including being responsible for representing the Organisation and coordinating with key stakeholders at Regional level and ensuring OXFAM maintains a strong profile in the area.
The Area Manager is the most senior staff in the field Office and mainly responsible for establishing and leading an effective operational and functional platform (including but not limited to, administrative, partnerships, financial and logistics, HR services) for effective delivery of all programs. S/he will be the lead facilitator to ensure effective coordination between and flow of inputs from CO focal points and area-based counterparts of programs and support functions.
The Area Manager will provide leadership and management oversight of support services operations for all ongoing projects in the West Nile Region. S/he will manage a team of operational staff working across the project sites, and will have overall responsibility for ensuring quality operational support to the technical staff and partners. Key responsibilities will include ensuring that strong operational systems are in place to support project implementation, managing program support staff and sub-offices. S/he will also facilitate and coordinate an integrated programming approach in terms of geographic consolidation, integrated delivery platforms and sharing of resources in order to gain optimum efficiency. This will require close coordination with all partners, internal and external stakeholders. Frequent travel to field sites for management support will be required. Through the supervisor, s/he will remain updated on strategic plans and status of all thematic interventions in order to be able to mobilize necessary resource for effective delivery and growth of programs.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work in close cooperation with the both OXFAM Humanitarian Manager and Head of Programme and their teams based in Kampala, maintain a broad overview of the humanitarian context in the region and contribute to the identification and development of new programme initiatives, including facilitating assessments and overseeing preparation of concept notes and proposals with a focus on the nexus between humanitarian, development/longer-term (post-emergency / development) and DRR & peace interventions
- Support the National Coordinators under the different thematic areas (Governance & Accountability, Women’s Rights and Gender Justice, Resilience Livelihoods) as well as under PQL and Communications in proactively identifying areas for collaboration and integrative programming between teams and sectors
- Ensure that all OXFAM mainstreaming policies are incorporated into all programme planning and implementation
- Ensure the submission of good quality and timely reports to Oxfam, donors and government
- Mobilise and lead Oxfam team in the region to respond to emergencies efficiently and effectively in order to help affected people meet their basic needs, alleviate suffering and maintain their dignity.
- Ensure that the team is to ready to respond to emergencies when they strike, and ensure all staff actively participate in the response, and contribute to the efforts aimed at achieving the humanitarian objective of the organization.
Leadership, Representation and Advocacy
- Represent OXFAM at different forums in the operational region and ensure a strong organisational profile with UN, NGO and Government stakeholders
- Maintain Oxfam’s position as a key actor in the INGO community in West Nile region of Uganda and represent Oxfam to donors, authorities, civil society, existing coordination mechanism and other external actors in a close cooperation with country office and reflecting approved strategic documents
- In a collaboration with the Humanitarian Influencing and LHL coordinator, identify and ensure opportunities so that the situation in West Nile continues to be discussed at relevant forums, through briefings with key stakeholders in the area, as well as support in development of LHL capacities and advocacy briefing notes
- Network, maintain communication and share experience with relevant organizations to ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of project activities and promotion best practices.
- Ensure strong communication with implementing partners across different thematic areas within the area/region in order to improve integrated multi sectoral programming
- Establish and maintain cordial working relationship with partners, local and regional government bodies, NGOs and collaborating line departments
Project Portfolio Management
- Supervise the timely implementation of the entire program/project portfolio.
- Organise and oversee regular project review meetings, particularly for multi sector projects
- Ensure regular contact, frequent support and visits to areas/communities/districts of field implementation
- Pro-actively monitor the operational context and contribute to the development of new programme initiatives and help seek funding for these
- Ensure timely internal and donor reporting as per agreed schedules
- Provide support to MEAL, Communications and other cross-cutting undertakings for the programme in the region
Team and People Management
- Ensure positive staff management, including supporting recruitments, proactive staff capacity building and ensuring performance reviews are conducted
- Maintain a positive, collaborative and enabling work environment·
- Reinforce the matrix management structure and assist in ensuring strong communication and working relationships between field based staff and Head office matrix managers
- Overall management responsibility for the technical and support team in operational areas
- Carry out performance management and development reviews of direct reports, setting objectives and ensuring they are regularly reviewed
- Ensure that the performance review process is effectively carried out for all team members
- Coordinate with HR at Head Officer and the PD to ensure capacity building and development of staff.
- Hold regular (at least once a month) team meetings to discuss issues and ensure strong communication both upward and downward
Support Services Management
- Ensure that all OXFAM policies and procedures are in place and are adhered to (admin/finance, HR, procurement and logistics)
- Ensure compliance with OXFAM Safeguarding, Anti Fraud, Speak Up Policy and Code of Conduct
- Ensure timely and accurate financial forecasting and reporting as overall responsible for all area program budgets
- Develop, plan and monitor the budget and activities of the programme, ensuring that individual projects are kept within budget and that any expenditure that is off track is reported and addressed immediately.
- Review monthly management accounts and ensure budgets are utilized as per plan and following standard financial procedures
- Ensure that all finance policies and procedures are followed within the Programme Area
- Ensure that teams prepare procurement plans and that they are implemented in a timely manner by logistics staff
- Ensure that all logistics policies and procedures are followed including procurement ,transport, asset management and warehousing
- As a Security Focal Person of the organization in the Area, regularly monitor the security situation, hold security meetings with the security focal group and report any security threats or incidents to Kampala head office immediately
- In close coordination with the Country Security Focal Person and the Country Director, ensure implementation of appropriate safety and security procedures
- Adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values (click here) as well as the promotion of gender justice and women’s rights (click here).
- Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant for this job placement must hold a Master’s Degree, preferably in Humanitarian Program Coordination, International Development, International Relations, Management/Social Sciences or relevant discipline
- At least ten years of experience, preferably in any emergency response, including 5 years in management and/or supervisory role.
- Experience in providing support (logistical, operational, safety and security, administrative, finance etc.) and monitoring large-scale field operations is important.
- Advanced knowledge on financial, administrative and human resources management
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to delegate, manage time and prioritize tasks while coping with a broad range of programmatic and technical demands
- Excellent people manager, mentor and coach
- Strong analytical and problem solving abilities
- Proven strategic planner and team leader with sound technical knowledge of support systems
- Proven ability to develop and lead a high performing team.
- Strong problem solving and organisational skills in day to day and crisis situations
- Experience of a flexible approach to managing and prioritizing a high workload and multiple tasks in a fast paced environment with tight deadlines
- Experience of working collaboratively with local and national government, with NGO partners and a commitment to working through systems of children/community participation.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and if you are able to speak Swahili is an asset
- You have leadership and management skills in a complex international setting and you have training, coaching, capacity building experience and skills
- Able to work in insecure environments and live in confined areas
- Respectful of security rules
- Dynamic and willing to take initiatives to complete assigned tasks and deal with difficulties encountered in daily work
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible.
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.