Vacancy title: Communication and Knowledge Management Officer
Type: FULL TIME.
Category: Media, Communications & Writing
Jobs at: Forum for Women in Democracy (FOWODE)
Deadline of this Job: 30th September 2019
Duty Station: Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Job Title: Communication and Knowledge Management Officer
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Reporting to: Director of Programmes
Purpose of the Job
Forum for Women in Democracy (FOWODE) is a national women’s non-governmental organization based in Kampala. FOWODE wishes to add to her team a competent, results driven, proactive and self-driven individual and is seeking applications to fill the post of Communication and Knowledge Management Officer.
The Officer will ensure implementation of the FOWODE Communications Strategy and support the knowledge management function of the organization. The role holder will be responsible for the collection, synthesizing, storage,documentation and dissemination of information to FOWODE stakeholders in a way that is consistent with the defined overall vision and mission of the organization. .
Roles and Responsibilities
• Develop and implement FOWODE’s Knowledge Management plan and facilitate learning and production of knowledge products in audio, web-based and printed formats;
• Advise management on all media, strategic communication and publication strategies and take lead in the development of gender sensitive tools for communications and knowledge management;
• Conduct research, support and facilitate knowledge and information management related to implementation of the organisation’s programs, including documentation of all key activities;
• Take lead in the implementation of FOWODE’s Communication Strategy, manage the public image of FOWODE and maintain an updated list of FOWODE members, key constituencies and partners
• Establish links with the media and manage the organisation’s media engagements including generating stories, case studies, news briefings, articles and other relevant materials and disseminate to target audiences;
• Constantly monitor media coverage on issues that are of interest to FOWODE and establish effective networks with relevant organisations on women’s leadership, macroeconomic governance and any other issue of interest to the organisation and her partners;
• Keep abreast of latest tools and trends in social media and strategic communications and use appropriate actions to reach out to wider audiences;
• Develop and update FOWODE’s annual reports, fact sheets, policy briefs and website among other products;
• Provide communication support in editing, development of donor proposals and reports, drafting and proof reading of key FOWODE communications;
• Utilize FOWODE’s social media platforms to keep our constituencies informed about our work, events and topical issues;
• Support and supervise Communications staff and build the capacity of FOWODE staff, members and partners in communication and knowledge management to enhance the function of the organization;
• Supervise communications consultants and work with media personnel to ensure quality of content and products.
• A degree in communications, journalism, social sciences or any related field. Additional qualifications in Knowledge Management and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning will be an added advantage.
• A minimum of 3 years or progressively responsible and relevant experience working in the field of communication/public relations or journalism and Knowledge Management.
• Experience in collecting, synthesizing, storing, documentation and dissemination of information is a must.
• Knowledge and practice of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning will be an asset.
• Experience in branding and working in various media formats, including photo, audio, video, print and web.
• Professional experience managing digital communication and web-based communication platforms including social media, blogs, or websites
• Experience in report production, print and electronic publishing. Design and publication skills especially interfacing with InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator will be an added advantage
• Excellent writer with evidence of writing compelling stories and articles
• Experience engaging with and writing for a range of audiences, including governments and policy makers, multilateral agencies, and the general public (national and international)
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including excellent oral and writing skills
• Strong attention to detail
• Strong initiative and the ability to think creatively
• Good at networking and relationship building
• Ability to work well under pressure, prioritize multiple projects and tasks and meet deadlines
• Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
• Integrity, resilience, flexibility and sensitive to gender and diversity
• Photography and/or videography skills
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job application procedure
Interested candidates should apply via the email below and submit their cover letters, a detailed curriculum vitae and copies of relevant academic documents to: email@example.com OR send a hard copy to:
The Executive Director
Forum for Women in Democracy (FOWODE)
P.O. Box 7176
Applications should be sent not later than 30th September 2019. Please ensure that your attachments do not exceed 5 MB.
We do appreciate your interest to work with FOWODE. However, we regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.