For 60 years, United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Job Summary: The UNICEF Emergency Specialist will be responsible for the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of emergency project activities, to ensure the survival, well-being of children and mothers, and affected community in the country.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implements and manages project activities for Field Operations as needed. Conducts regular field visits to emergency project areas, to assess local conditions and monitor project progress.
- Responsible for humanitarian performance monitoring in accordance with relevant UNICEF monitoring frameworks and make decisions on project administration.
- Establishes contact with community groups and other partners to keep abreast of emergency situations. Uses UNICEF innovations (especially U-Report) to gather information on the emergency and share it with partners. Collects information, identifies problems and constraints, in order to ensure effective project delivery.
- Prepares briefings, Situation Reports and project progress reports for the decision making process and information purposes for UNICEF management, donors, partners and allies.
- Takes lead in the coordination of discussions with government or other local authorities, partners (especially UNHCR) and allies, to advocate and/or assist counterparts in the formulation, implementation and evaluation of emergency assistance and coordination.
- Render technical support National capacity building for preparedness to recurrent risks such as refugee influxes, floods, epidemic and drought and provides training and/or briefing.
- Conducts and assists with assessment of local conditions resulting from the emergency situation affecting children and mothers in the country. Determines priorities for interventions. Prepares project proposals for emergency assistance and other related documentation, as necessary.
- Works with zonal offices to facilitate the establishment of District Disaster Management Committees as agreed with Government. Monitors the appropriate and effective use of UNICEF resources/inputs.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNICEF job opportunity should hold an advanced university degree in Health, Nutrition, Social Sciences, or other related field. A first university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of advanced university degree.
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience in programme formulation, planning, management, and evaluation, and at least four years experience in one or more emergency contexts.
Languages: Fluency in English. Knowledge of the language of the duty station is desirable.
Core Values: Commitment, Diversity and Inclusion, Integrity
Core Competencies: Communication, Working with People, Drive for Results
- Leading and Supervising
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts
- Relating and Networking
- Persuading and Influencing
- Creating and Innovating
NB: The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
How to Apply for the job:
If you want to work for the United Nations UNICEF as a nutrition specialist, Please click on web link below to visit and review the requirements and Click “Apply Now.”
Deadline: 8th October, 2014