The Regional Universities Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture (RUFORUM), established in 2004, is a consortium of 42 universities in 19 countries of Eastern, Central and Southern Africa (ECSA). The organisation evolved from the Forum on Agricultural Resource Husbandry (FORUM) program of the Rockefeller Foundation. RUFORUM is registered as an International Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) and has mandate to oversee graduate training and networks of specialization in the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA). RUFORUM has an MoU with the African Union for strengthening science, technology and innovation capacity in Africa.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interpret and guide on budget control procedures, budget implementation and budget consumption
- Intuitively analyse and report on expenditure trends and accounts balances in relation to the approved budget and performance results.
- Rigorously examine and advise on all requests for expenditure, funding commitments or funds transfers to ensure that they are within the provisions of the budget, financial regulations and procedures.
- Monitor and report on implementation of the budget and budget performance.
- Prepare financial forecasts and cash flow projections on the basis of the existing or changing objectives of RUFORUM.
- Works closely with Managers on matters relating to their capital and operating budgets.
- Compile and submit financial reports on actual revenues, funds transfers and actual expenditure.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Financial Officer should possess a good Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce (Finance and Accounting option), Business Administration (Finance and Accounting option) or equivalent.
- Professional accounting certification like Association of Chartered Certified Accountant (ACCA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA). Certified Management Accountant (CMA).
- Five years’ experience in budget preparation and control in large organization
- Familiarity with good accounting systems implementation.
- Computer literacy skills i.e. ability to use financial and accounting software applications.
- Should be a team player.
- Ability to undertake critical analysis of budget processes, expenditure control, budget performance and problems on finance and accounting.
- Skills in the preparation of accurate and quality financial reports according to prescribed reporting formats.
- Ability to effectively communicate financial information.
- Ability to work calmly under pressure.
- Ability to exercise good financial judgment and discretion.
How to Apply for the job:
All candidates are encouraged to send their applications via email to Secretariat@ruforum.org, or delivered in hard copy (with CD enclosed containing soft copy) to:
The Executive Secretary
RUFORUM Secretariat, Plot 151 Garden Hill,
Makerere University, P.O Box 16811, Wandegeya
(Ref: RUF/JOB/….: ……………….)
Applicants should quote the reference number and job applied for, and should attach photocopies of necessary academic support documents, including letters from two referees. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Screening of applications will begin in November, 2014, and will continue until the post is filled.
Deadline: 20th October, 2014 by 5pm