Job Title: Hybrid Seed Research & Development Officer
Organisation: BRAC International
Duty Station: Uganda
BRAC International is one of the world’s largest Non-Governmental Development Organizations, working in a number of countries in Africa and Asia on poverty alleviation Programs, is registered in Uganda as BRAC Uganda. The organization implements integrated development approach combining Education, Health, Agriculture, Livestock, Adolescent Empowerment and Microfinance.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Hybrid Seed Research & Development Officer will design, manage and implement Hybrid Seed breeding research projects to develop hybrids that will contribute to the commercial success of the enterprise.
- The incumbent will also guide decision making regarding feasibility of prospective and ongoing projects relating to Hybrid Seeds.
- Conduct performance tests and trials for Hybrid seeds and prepare evaluation reports to guide business decisions on appropriate varieties for advancement and commercialization.
- Maintain adequate breeder seed of parent lines to ensure timely production of targeted quantity of certified Hybrid seeds.
- Supervise production of certified Hybrid seeds by contract growers that meet end user expectations in terms of quality, quantity, timeliness and cost.
- Design, organize and conduct Hybrid seed demonstrations in target market zones
- Offer technical support to other seed production team members, contract growers, sales officers and dealers as may be required.
- Build and manage strong relationships with national and international seed research organizations, Local governments and farmers.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the BRAC International Hybrid Seed Research & Development Officer career opportunity must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Plant breeding, Genetics, Agronomy or a related Crop Science field, a Masters degree in a related field is a plus.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in Seed research and development.
- Ability to plan and coordinate the execution of multiple projects concurrently.
- Keen attention to detail with an innovative and analytical mindset.
- Data analysis and interpretation.
- Previous exposure and experience in cost and personnel management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Solid computer skills, especially in Ms Excel.
- Ability to work in a team-based environment with multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams.
- Experience in a multi-cultural work environment.
- Capacity to work under minimum supervision.
- High degree of flexibility to work extended hours, including weekends, during planting, pollination and harvest season as may be needed.
- High personal integrity and ethical standards.
How to Apply:
All qualified and interested candidates should send their application letters, Curriculum Vita in one Ms. Office Word Document and academic papers in one PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. There should be only 2 attachments & the subject in email must be the name of the position applied for strictly.
NB: Only Soft Copy Applications will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. These positions are open for Ugandan nationals only.
Deadline: 8th September 2017