Organization: International Justice Mission (IJM)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: IJM Training Coordinator
The International Justice Mission is a global organization that protects the poor from violence throughout the developing world. International Justice Mission partners with local authorities to rescue victims of violence, bring criminals to justice, restore survivors, and strengthen justice systems. The International Justice Mission (IJM) Uganda is working to eliminate property grabbing in Uganda by bringing rescue and restoration to individual victims, accountability to their perpetrators, and transformation to the public justice system as a whole.
Job Summary: The Associate Attorney will be part of IJM’s Systems Reform team, you will have the opportunity to develop and participate in trainings for public justice system leaders, influence the church and educate the public on how to protect widows and orphans from property grabbing, and implement efforts to reform the public justice system.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Training and Logistics:
· Carry out legal research and develop curricula for public education and public justice system official training.
· Manage logistics for public justice system trainings.
· Assist with and participate in the training of Police Officers, LC Leaders, Civil Servants, church and community leaders, and members of the general public.
2. Advocacy and Education:
· Organize meetings with public justice officials, local leaders, and power actors.
· Educate audiences on the causes, costs, and consequences of property grabbing.
· Represent IJM in public speaking engagements, meetings, and publicity events.
· Support IJM in advocacy efforts for positive change in the public justice system.
3. Support and Development:
· The incumbent will support the IJM SR Department in designing reforms to the public justice system.
· Support IJM Casework Team in evaluating and developing intervention strategies for IJM cases.
· Carry out case intake and client screening based on established criteria.
· Assist in hosting guests, visitors, and volunteers.
· Participate in IJM programs in professionalism and Christian spiritual formation.
· Perform any other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the Associate Attorney should hold a Bachelor’sdegree in law and completion of LDC program.
· At least two years’ experience as an attorney, paralegal or legal assistant.
· A minimum of two years’ experience as a public speaker, teacher, or similar duties.
· Excellent critical thinking, legal analysis, and oral and written communication skills.
· Fluency in English and Luganda, with excellent writing and oration in both.
· Computer literacy skills with proficiency in MS Word, Outlook andExcel.
· Practicing Certificate and Driver’s License preferred.
· Mature Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed.
· Passionate commitment to IJM’s mission and values.
· Professional in demeanor, appearance, writing and oral communication.
· Works well under stress with a sustained positive attitude.
· Exceptionally high level of honesty and integrity.
· Intelligent, organized, creative and proactive problem solver.
· Ability to cooperate effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
How to Apply: All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the International Justice Mission (IJM) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to Apply Online by Clicking Here.