Job Title: Program Officer – Accelerated Learning Programme (ALP)
Organisation: Save the Children International
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Area Manager
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organization for children and has program presence in over 120 countries in the world and has been implementing programs for over 90 years. Save the Children envisions a Uganda in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation. Our mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. We strive to create impact for children by delivering our Programmes through partnerships, by being innovative, by acting as the voice for and of children, and by achieving results at scale. In Uganda, we implement programmes in six thematic programme areas of Child Protection, Child Rights Governance, Education, Livelihoods & Food Security, Health, Nutrition and HIV/AIDS in development and emergency contexts. Save the Children delivers programs in over 36 districts in the North, Rwenzori, North-Eastern and Central regions of Uganda, Currently, Save the Children has a staff complement of over 300 persons. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. In 2014, we reached over 143 million children through our work around 52m directly and 91 million indirectly around the world.
Job Summary: The Program Officer – Accelerated Learning Programme (ALP) will ensure youth with low literacy, numeracy and life skills enroll for and complete literacy, numeracy and life skills classes offered to youth in VSLAs and those undertaking vocational skills training in the 6 underserved sub-counties in Amuru, Nwoya and Gulu Districts. S/he will be responsible for training literacy and numeracy instructors, establishing literacy and numeracy centres and establish linkages with District Education/community development offices for technical support, monitoring and supervision of the literacy and numeracy interventions in the project area as well as technically backstopping the literacy and numeracy component of the project. S/he will promote access to youth centred Adolescent Sexual Reproductive Health (ASRH) to deprived youth.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Save the Children Program Officer – Accelerated Learning Programme (ALP) job placement should hold a bachelor’s degree or higher in either Education, Social Work or Development studies. A Postgraduate training/Advanced degree in the related field, Social sciences/social works, or Management is an added advantage.
- At least three years of relevant working experience in a similar position in an NGO.
- Experience in Basic Education, community literacy and youth programming is preferred.
- Strong documentation, advocacy, facilitation and presentation skills and ability to speak local language (Luo) and directly interact with target group
- Computer literacy and excellent documentation skills are a must.
- Excellent time management and planning capacity.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply online by clicking on the title link below.
Deadline: 23rd April 2018