Job Title: Operations Assistant
Organisation: African Development Bank
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Country Manager, Uganda Country Office
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. The Bank’s development agenda is delivering financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy (2013-2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified, namely: energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration, and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
Job Summary: The African Development Bank Operations Assistant will provide administrative and client support to the Operational Staff. The job implies frequent interaction with other institutional units, staff in other locations (regional and at headquarters), Government officials, consultants and external organizations. The position is held by experienced staff whose acquired knowledge and skills enable her/him to independently undertake diverse and complex work assignments. With only routine supervision, the Operations Assistant will work closely with Operational Staff within the Uganda Country Office to make a significant contribution to the overall achievement of the Uganda Country Office work program. The selected candidate will be assigned to support a set of sectors, as well as tasks associated to the Uganda Country Office overall work program for which ad-hoc support may be needed from time to time. The Operations Assistant will report to the Country Manager while providing direct support to the Operational Staff.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide primary assistance in the implementation of the Uganda Country Office work program, including some specialized support in specific areas, such as task management, procurement, database management, information technology, editorial assistance, etc.
- Support Operational Staff by drafting a variety of routine documents and applying effective proof-reading.
- Keep abreast of the Bank’s directives and processes and ensure effective processing of all project documents.
- Use word processing or desktop publishing skills to produce complex text, reports, figures, graphs, etc., according to standard Bank formats and distribution
- Coordinate team schedules, meetings, and appointments, undertake standard logistical preparations for various events, e.g. meetings, conferences, workshops, negotiations, etc.
- Organize and coordinate mission activities which include preparation/updating of mission itineraries and briefing materials, coordination of meeting schedule, and travel, etc.
- Collect and input data provided by Task Team Leaders into the central database, including processing new project status reports and updates. Serve as an information resource on status of project/products (e.g. procurement, disbursement, audit, trust fund/co-financing, and legal issues).
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The African Development Bank Operations Assistant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Commerce, Administration or related discipline
- Five years of relevant experience;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with ability to interact diplomatically with clients and staff at all levels, recognized ability to exercise good judgment in interpersonal dealings at all levels and in handling confidential information;
- Excellent organizational, administrative and time management skills;
- Effective analytical, research and problem-solving skills;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SAP and/or other integrated document management system);
- Previous experience with a multilateral/bilateral development organizations is an advantage;
- Excellent verbal and writing/editing skills in English.
- Technology and systems knowledge– Exhibits excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and proficiency of technology or/and systems relevant to the operations of the Bank.
- Project and task management– Ability to undertake diverse and complex assignments with minimal supervision and resolve competing demands. Demonstrates good organizational skills, can plan and prioritize own work and work of internal clients.
- Institutional policies, processes, and procedures-Demonstrates relevant functional knowledge and understanding of institutional priorities, policies, operational and administrative procedures, and people. Ability to practically apply and guide others in policy application.
- Versatility and adaptability– Demonstrates initiative and motivation to proactively learn new developments in relevant policies, procedures and technology. Is able to proactively identify, prevent and/or solve problems. Ability to participate in change activities and initiatives.
- Client orientation– Able to interact with clients with discretion and diplomacy. Demonstrates ability to resolve complex client related issues. Displays understanding of relevant internal and external factors and their impact to the client.
- Drive for results– Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results, and has the personal organization to do so.
- Teamwork, excellent behavior and inclusion– Collaborates with other team members and contributes productively to the team’s work and output.
- Communication– Strong capacity to communicate in a constructive and professional manner. Can assist in the preparation of written materials in accordance with Bank administrative guidelines and best practices. Ability and readiness to contribute to unit’s knowledge sharing.
- Business judgment– Demonstrates ability to assess situation, and make sound judgment on action needed.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to submit a concise Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a cover letter to COUG_RECRUITMENT@AFDB.ORG indicating Operations Assistant’ in the subject line.
NB: The African Development Bank Group does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.
Deadline: 11th May 2018