Job Title: Security Assistants (2 Career Opportunities)
The Regional Service Centre Steering Committee is the decision-making body for RSCE, in compliance with General Assembly resolutions, United Nations Secretariat rules and regulations, strategic guidance from United Nations Headquarters and oversight bodies. The Steering Committee consults with the Global Field Support Strategy Implementation Coordination Team, as required.
The Regional Service Centre, as approved by the Member States, is owned, managed and staffed by the regional missions it serves. This framework reinforces the existing missions’ chain of command structures and lines of authority in a manner that does not create an additional layer between Headquarters and the regional missions. It also ensures that staffing for RSCE will be achieved through the redeployment of resources from the regional missions it serves.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the OIC Security Operations & Guard Force Management, the incumbent will undertake the following tasks:
- Providing protection to all ESB properties / arrangement and all perimeter security.
- Responsible for access control points of all ESB installations; monitoring the movement of all UN and other property and goods which are brought to and from the ESB.
- Preventing all unauthorized persons from entering the premises and offices, enforcing and implementing the security rules and regulations.
- Offering physical security for all entry and exit points to ESB installations and buildings within the AORrds.
- Supervising / monitoring the contracted private security company guards assigned at designated posts at the compound of their performances and behavior with UN staff.
- Carrying out preliminary and comprehensive investigations into the incidents and accidents concerning UN personnel and equipment’s protecting the incident/accident scene inside / outside of the premises with special emphasis for further investigation.
- Performing foot and mobile patrol inside the ESB and installations as well as the outside perimeter.
- Providing guard duties, patrols, escorts duties when necessary.
- Working in liaison with local authorities in order to provide adequate physical security measures at UN facilities.
- Gathering comprehensive information’s about the event or actions that may affect the safety Security of the UN staff and assets of the mission.
- Conducting the residential security surveys of staff members as per the MORSS gaudiness and regulations.
- Offer a 24 hour communication link between the various entities, regional offices, UN agencies and others as required.
- Quickly respond to all incidents/ accidents involving a UN staff member occurs, fill all details in the Observation Book and immediately pass on the info to the Special Investigations Unit (SIU).
- Perform other duties assigned by Officer in-charge of SOC / GFM or head of Security Section.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidates for United Nations Job opportunities must have completed secondary school level or hold diplomas in Military or Police service.
- Past exposure and experience in security with private sector and management or related area is desirable.
- A minimum of four or more years’ experience in Field of Security and Safety is required
- Possession of a valid driving permit is a MUST requirement.
Professionalism – Demonstrated professional competence and mastery of Security matters; motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems/challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
Client Orientation – Treats all with respect, polite and firm strong negotiating skills and ability to influence others to reach agreement.
Communication – Ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively orally; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed..
Planning and organization: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Technological Awareness – Excellent computer skills, including ability to operate database software, spreadsheets and other relevant IT tools. Demonstrated initiative and willingness to learn new skills.
Teamwork – Proven interpersonal skills. Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve team goals. Proven ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships within and outside the security team.
How to Apply for the job:
All suitably qualified candidates who wish to join the United Nations in the aforementioned capacity should submit their applications which should include the following documents:
- Cover Letter (letter of motivation or application letter);
- The United Nations Personal History form (P-11), download here
- Academic Certificate(s) and/or High School/Secondary Diploma;
- Copy of birth certificate; or copy of National ID; or copy of Passport.
- Internal candidates must submit the two (2) most recent performance evaluations (e-pas)
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply by e-mail and must include the Vacancy Announcement
Number and the Job Title: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or send to: RSCE, Entebbe Support Base, Buku Road, P.O Box 710. Entebbe
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply by e-mail and must include the Vacancy Announcement Number and the Job Title.
Application received after the established deadline will not be considered.
Deadline: 29th September, 2014