Job Title: Advocacy and Communications Officer
The Uganda Protestant Medical Bureau (UPMB) was founded in 1957 as a registered faith based Non-Governmental Organization under the Trustees Incorporation Act (CAP 165) as Registered Trustees of the Uganda Protestant Medical Bureau. UPMB Brings together Protestant Churches in Uganda involved in Provision of Health Services. It serves as a link between Government and / or Development Partners and UPMB-Member Institutions and provides support to its members through capacity strengthening, coordination, lobbying and Advocacy, public relations and translation of government policies.
Job Summary: The incumbent will support advocacy and communications initiatives in line with UPMB’s strategic objectives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with stakeholders and sector partners to develop and implement sustainable advocacy initiatives
- Contribute to high-level sector advocacy initiatives, and stimulate the participation of national partners and networks in those initiatives.
- Collaboratively assess and support the development of messages and communications products related to the organization’s strategic priorities and programs
- Review and put into practice the UPMB advocacy strategy
- Steer the development, documentation and sharing of key advocacy issues and communications products, such as booklets, newsletters flyers, audio-visual materials, speeches and in liaison with the IT Officers update the website and all electronic media communication
- Participate in formulation of projects proposals for funding
- Represent the organization in advocacy forums
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports of advocacy activities
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Mass Communication/Public Relations,
- Training in use of ICT related field,
- Additional qualification in Health communications, Public Health or related field is an added advantage.
- A minimum of four (4) years’ relevant professional experience, working in communications and advocacy, media, at a national and/or international level preferably in the health NGO sector
- Proactive, self-starter, creative and able to work independently in fast- paced environment
- Ability to work effectively with a broad range of local and national partners, and in a team environment Ability to use digital and social media tools Excellent written and oral communications in English is essential with strong ability to edit and synthesize complex documents into short, easy to read text.
- Ability to interview and interact with high profile personalities Ability to produce advocacy and communication strategies, reports, publications, brochures, policy briefs, and press releases with a track record of published written work, message creation and/or multi-media pieces.
How to Apply for the job:
All candidates should send their applications with e-mail addresses, telephone numbers and two references should be addressed to:
The Executive Director
Uganda Protestant Medical Bureau
P.O. Box 4127 Kampala, Uganda
Tel: 041 271776
Deadline: 25th August, 2014