Job Title: Support Services Officer
UNOPS mission is to expand the capacity of the UN system and its partners to implement peace building, humanitarian and development operations that matter for people in need. Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, UNOPS vision is to always satisfy partners with management services that meet world-class standards of quality, speed and cost effectiveness. By assisting UN organizations, international financial institutions, governments and other development partners, UNOPS makes significant, tangible contributions to results on the ground.
The UNOPS Peace and Security Cluster, within the Global Portfolio Services Office (GPSO), is a principal service provider to the United Nations, governments of mine-affected countries and other partners. The Peace and Security Cluster was established in 1997. Based in New York, it has helped partners to significantly improve the lives of people in more than 30 countries across the world.
The Peace and Security Cluster supports emergency, post-conflict and peacekeeping operations. It delivers fast procurement, recruitment and management services to facilitate humanitarian aid and launch emergency mine clearance.
The cluster is responsible for administration, as well as providing support and overseeing the day-to-day management of the project field offices, in line with the partners’ requirements and UNOPS rules and regulations. It is headed by the Cluster Chief who has overall authority and accountability for the performance of the Peace and Security Cluster on behalf of its partners.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Ensures provision of efficient procurement and oversight of the support team focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure compliance with UNOPS rules and regulations in the field and elaboration of the Programme procurement strategies including procurement planning, sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement.
- General oversight and assisting in development of contract strategy including tendering processes and evaluation, managing the contract and contractor, legal implications.
- Management of procurement processes in accordance with UNOPS rules and regulations.
- Development and implementation of a procurement management system in relation to planning, awarding, administering and monitoring of all matters related to procurement, in accordance with UNOPS Procurement Manual;
- Supervision of the preparation of tendering documents for international procurement requirements; the establishment of shortlist of suitable contractors/suppliers, and the preparation and issue of local tenders. Together with the requesting programme component, evaluation of bids or proposals received and recommendations for contract awards;
- Efficient implementation of a vendor database and use of the system to record the listing, updating, evaluation and monitoring of performance of service providers and vendors;
- Provision of guidance on all procurement matters.
2. Ensures efficient logistics and asset management services, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Development and implementation of a comprehensive logistics system in accordance with UNOPS Logistical Procedures;
- Development and implementation of a coherent logistical supply system in accordance with UNOPS Procurement Rules and Regulations;
- Management of the movement of personnel and equipment into and within the duty station;
- Oversight of logistical services in accordance with UNOPS rules and regulations.
- Implementation of an asset management and accounting system for all UNOPS managed equipment and properties in accordance UNOPS lease and asset management policy.
- Implementation of a repair and maintenance system for all equipment including EDP equipment, communications equipment, vehicles and generators, etc.;
3. Ensures effective and accurate financial resources management and assistance to the HoSS focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assist in planning, expenditure tracking and audit of financial resources, in accordance with UNOPS rules and regulations.
- Monitoring of administrative budget expenditures and advice to HoSS on the budget status, ensuring that funds allocated are not exceeded or that additional funds are allocated when required; response to queries on financial and administrative matters.
- Assist in development and implementation of a finance management system in accordance with UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations.
- Monitoring and production of Cash Flows on regular basis with regards to the ongoing projects and financial agreements.
4. Ensures forward-looking information and communication management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Use of Atlas functionality for improved business results and improved client services.
- Identification of opportunities and ways of converting business processes into web-based systems to address the issues of efficiency and full accountability.
- Identification and promotion of different systems and applications for optimal content management, knowledge sharing, information provision and learning including e-registry, web-based office management system, etc.
5. Ensures proper management of security-related issues, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Review of security arrangements in light of requirements and ensure the efficient implementation of all recommended measures;
- Guidance and supervision to the security guards for safeguarding the staff and premises.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should possess an advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in accounting, business administration, public administration, Purchasing and Logistics, commerce, or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Also a membership of a recognized Professional body will be an added advantage.
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience in Financial Management, Administration, Procurement, Human Resources of development programs and projects.
Language: Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
- High degree of creativity
- Commitment to continuous learning
- High degree of accountability
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills
- High teamwork
- Client orientation
- Technological awareness
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Promotes knowledge management and a learning environment in the office through personal example
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to engage in strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to engage in formulation and monitoring of management projects
- Solid working knowledge in financial resources and human resources management, contract, asset and procurement, information and communication technology, general administration
- Ability to adapt and engage in implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioural/ attitudinal change
Management and Leadership:
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills
How to apply for the job:
If interested in this job opportunity, please click on http link below to visit website and create profile or express interest if you already have a profile on the UN system
Deadline: 7th August 2014