Job Title: Financial Officer
PEAS is a UK-based charity with a mission ‘to unlock the potential of Africa by expanding access to affordable quality secondary education’. We run the fastest growing network of sustainably financed secondary schools in Africa. We currently have a network of 22 schools across Uganda and Zambia, educating around 8,000 students. PEAS has recently secured a grant from DFID as part of the Girls Education Challenge Fund, the purpose of which is to drive learning and results for marginalised girls. PEAS is supported by major corporate, government and private funders and our innovative financial model is pioneering in the field of public private partnerships in development education.
Job Summary: The Finance Officer Schools exists to provide financial oversight and financial services to the PEAS schools network, in accordance with PEAS financial policies and standards. This includes support on internal reporting requirements and ensuring school financial reporting requirements are met and overseeing/coordinating the work of the Finance – teams in PEAS schools( School Director & Bursars) as necessary. The Finance Officer-schools will also play a role in supporting the capacity development of school leaders for the day to day management of school finance operations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Financial Management and Reporting:
- Policy and systems development:
- Team management:
- General: Carry out any other tasks delegated by PEAS Finance Manager- Schools, which are in line with the scope of the role.
- Coordinate and lead the preparation of annual and forecast budgets for PEAS schools, in collaboration with relevant school leaders and finance staff.
- Actively facilitate internal audits and the implementation of audit recommendations across PEAS’ schools Network
- Offer on -going technical support to the finance teams and school leaders, including support with month end finance and reporting processes
- Ensure schools comply with monthly filing of mandatory financial returns to NSSF, PAYE and act as the main point of contact for schools financial transactions, recording and reporting to PEAS central office.
- Monitor the day-to-day finance transactions for PEAS schools, ensuring the maintenance of appropriate accounting records and documentation.
- Ensure PEAS regional team provides appropriate support to school & regional budget holders for the effective on-going management of their budgets.
- Monitor cash holdings in PEAS schools, ensuring adequate resources are available to support quality education programme implementation.
- Ensure salary and benefits paid to PEAS schools staff are correct and in accordance with PEAS’ HR and Finance policies.
- Provide support in the administration of all school subsidies and transfers
- Assist the schools leaders with the development of their individual budgets, direct school budgetary process in procurement and supply management
- Support the periodical review, and update as necessary, PEAS’ schools finance policies, systems and procedures and ensure these meet agreed standards, are adequately documented and institutionalized.
- Contribute to and represent PEAS schools finance teams in management team discussions regarding consolidated reporting and planning for changes to PEAS ’s financial systems.
- Actively participate in the recruitment and induction of new members to the PEAS schools finance team.
- Provide leadership, management and support to PEAS schools finance team members, which includes providing regular supervision, identifying learning and development opportunities, performance management and conducting annual performance reviews.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Ensure the effective coordination and task management of PEAS ‘s schools finance team to ensure finance targets are met, including timely consolidation and submission of mandatory returns i.e. NSSF returns, compilation of Tax returns, and planning and management of school internal audit processes.
- Work with consultation with the Finance Manager Schools, provide support to school leaders with change management initiatives as appropriate, in implementing the agreed operating model and any related schools finance management requirements.
- Ensure the appropriate integration, implementation and compliance with PEAS financial policies & procedures, and relevant codes of good practice, in the region & across PEAS schools network.
- Mitigate against risks that involve finance, taxes or budgets that will impact school sustainability, escalating high/complex risks as appropriate. Support the development related requirements/ documentation across PEAS schools network to min
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should possess a good Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting
- At least five years general accounting and financial management experience
- Good understanding of accounting and financial standards
- Familiarity with and experience of using computerized accounting packages e.g. Quick books
- Good knowledge and experience of Microsoft Office applications especially Microsoft Excel
- Past experience in the training and mentoring of finance staff
- Excellent organisational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Prior experience in the training and mentoring of finance staff
- Demonstrated ability to coach and mentor others
- Report writing skills
- Strong numeracy skills
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to work under pressure/ to deadline
- Confidence and maturity
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work effectively cross culturally
- Flexible and adaptable
- Strong team player
- Commitment to PEAS’ values
How to Apply for the job:
All suitably qualified candidates should send their applications to: The Human Resource Manager, PEAS Uganda P.O. Box 23308, Kampala Plot 2881, Block 216, Ntinda Kisaasi. Mumbejja Road opposite Ndere Centre. Uganda Or send your application, cover letter and CV to; Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 15th September, 2014 by 5pm