Job Title: Infrastructure, Energy, & ICT Development Specialist
The Government of Uganda through the Office of the Prime Minister has received credit financing from the Islamic Development Bank (IDB), for the Dry Lands Integrated Development Project to be implemented in the Karamoja Sub region (Project reference number UG-0082-83). The Office of the Prime Minister will implement the Drylands Integrated Development Project through Millennium Promise Alliance Inc. an International Non-Profit Organisation solely committed to supporting the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals through the Millennium Villages Projects (MVPs) in 10 countries across Sub-Saharan Africa. The Dry Lands Integrated Development Project will implement multi sectoral interventions aimed at holistically addressing challenges faced by pastoralist communities that directly contribute to the objective of reducing vulnerability, building resilience, and accelerating the achievements of the UN Millennium Development Goals mainly in the districts of Moroto, Napak, Nakapiripiriti and Amudat.
Job Summary: The Infrastructure, Energy, & ICT Development Specialist will offer technical leadership in executing interventions designed to increase access to an improved road network, adoption of improved and dean on-grid and off-grid household, institutional and commercial energy systems and adoption of information and communication Technologies in the project areas. He/she will steer a team of extensions workers in each of the subsectors and to ensure the sector outputs are achieved and sustainable management systems are put in place
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform infrastructure improvement needs for the three sub components of roads, Energy, Buildings and ICT
- Technically steer the process of the recruitment of suitable consultants to design and/or supervise the infrastructure developments
- Supervise the works of the hired consultants to ensure conformity with project guidelines
- Work as a counterpart in mobilising communities to contribute towards infrastructure developments
- Work closely with the respective line ministries to ensure the designs and plans developments are in conformity with National standards
- Ensure sustainable community-led operation and maintenance plans are designed and incorporated in the implementation of all the infrastructures put in place
- Ensure value for money is ensured in all infrastructure developments.
- Work closely with line ministries and district departments to ensure all infrastructure developments secure local approvals from the authorities.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or Civil and Building Engineering
- Seven or more years’ experience or relevant Master’s Degree with four years’ experience with at least two years spent at head of department level.
- Relevant hands on experience in implementation of infrastructure projects covering at least two of the subcomponents of buildings, roads, Energy or ICT
- Past NGO experience will be an added advantage
- Demonstrated knowledge of Engineering site management skills
- Team work and leadership skills.
- Computer literacy in word processing, spreadsheets,
- Skills in engineering drawing and drafting programs(LikeAuto CAD, ArchiCAD)
- Good and effective communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and effectively handle multiple, concurrent demands and appropriately prioritise responsibilities
- Willingness and ability to work in the field for at least 70% of the time
How to Apply for the job :
All candidates are encouraged to apply by sending an application letter (in a sealed envelope clearly marked with “”APPLICATION FOR POSITION OF…””), curriculum vitae, three work related referees, copies of academic certificates, and testimonials either hand delivered or posted to this address: Millennium Promise Alliance Inc. Uganda, C/O Pacification and Development Department, 5th Floor Room 2521. Office of the Prime Minister, Plot 9-11 Apollo Kaggwa Road, P.O. Box 341, Kampala – Uganda.
Deadline: Friday, 3rd October 2014 by 2:00pm